Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

phinfan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 17, 2007
Ogden, Utah
I am planning to do a couple of butts this weekend. I just read Jeff's post for the finishing sauce. A cajun seasoning is mentioned. I haven't looked yet, but do you think that seasoning is going to be available everywhere. If not , does anyone know of a suitable substitute?

TC's is usually available everywhere. If you cant find it, you can always use some of the rub you used on your butts. Emeril also has one. Hope this helps.

In his Carolina pulled pork sandwich recipe , he mentions over smoking the meat. If I am doing a butt, will I foil it or let it smoke the whole time, until the temp reaches 200.

I plan on using his rub, then the finishing sauce mentioned above.

Hi Rick!...

You can find the recipe for Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning in this post:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...79&postcount=2

This came from Tony's 1st cookbook (1982) entitled 'Tony Chachere's Cajun Country Cookbook'...
PDT_Armataz_01_18.gif

I think 'Morton Salt' is available in 26 oz. boxes only, so, the 20 oz. measurement is probably a typo...

Hope this helps...

Until later...

just some advice (been using that stuff fer more years & i hate it but a coonazz won't eat w/out it) use the low sodium if ya can find it- ya can get it in any walmart- green can or white. p.s. i'd rather use emeril's- same stuff but not as many smg's

I prefer Zatarain's Creole Seasoning myself...but alas...it too has way too much salt!!...

If the amount of salt is an issue...I'd suggest using only half as much salt as the Tony's recipe calls for...that is...if you wanna use the Tony's in the finishing sauce.

Like Gypsy was saying though...try Emeril's!...

Until later...

What about heat? Are any of these options to spicy. My wife can't tolerate too much heat. If so maybe you can suggest something else.

thanks to all

sorry- had to get the pit going. here's what i use.
Cajun Spice Mix Recipe

Ingredients
1/4 pound kosher salt
1/2 cup chili powder
1/2 cup Spanish paprika
2 Tbsp onion powder
1/3 tsp cumin
3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1-1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
2 Tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
2 Tbsp dried basil
2 Tbsp dried oregano
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp white pepper
Instructions
Mix all ingredients together and place in a jar for storage. Store in a cool, dark place up to four months.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky