Tomato Problem????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi all Lately I've noticed curly leaves on the tops of all my (18) tomato plants.

The rest of plants look good have fruit & blossoms.

Any idea what's going on. They get plenty of water, I have drip hose set-up although lately its been 90 degrees or above for about a week.

Other wise some of the best looking Tomato plants I've had in awhile.

Beef master/Supersonics/Romas/100 Sweet Cherry/Heirlooms don't know what variety.

Thanks Dan
6bca0e7e_DSC01156.jpg

c84b5086_DSC01153.jpg
0b85bf7b_DSC01154.jpg

It doesn't look like anything serious from here, Dan.
It's natural for some wilting to occur when growth is fast and the root system struggles to keep up with the rapid growth above ground.
It's likely that some heat stress is contributing too.
Some varieties seem to be more prone to it than others.

~Martin

hey Dan, Have you been getting the hi winds like we have up here in NY? We had a week straight of 20-30 mph stuff and mine looked about the same. I think the wind dried them out. Mine are looking better now that the winds have subsided. do you water the foliage or just the ground?

Hi Guys Thanks for the good news.I was starting to worry, all years that I have had a garden,never saw any thing like  this

Winds here have been moderate, temps way above normal. I have a soaker drip hose set-up for watering, with the heat I've been watering almost every other day.

Can't wait to start picking  some red ones.
drool.gif
 I have Basil, Parsley, and Oregano in my front garden that is doing great.

Thanks Again Dan

PS Happy 4th to all

Dan Like everyone else said, I would not worry, mine curl up a little during the day cause of the heat, and settle, after the sun goes down.  Enjoy those maters, and mke a big sammie!

I had this problem with my heirlooms last year, and ended up losing half of them.  After a bit of research last summer, I learned that the curly leaf disease is caused by one of two things...bacterial infection or insects.  If it is insects then you can use various methods and you will be fine.  If it is bacterial, it may be too late, as there is no remedy, especially if the bacteria reaches the soil.  I replaced the soil in my some of my pots from last year, and this summer those plants are fine.  The pots containing soil from last year are now demonstrating the same problem, and I think I am going to lose these plants.  Amazingly, the bacteria survived the winter and is starting to rear its ugly head again.  I will completely remove this soil (making sure not to just dump it in my yard) in my hopes to eliminate this problem for next year. 

I really hope your plants survive!  I speak from experience, losing them sucks!  Best wishes!

Dan,

There are several dozen causes of leaf curl.
I still think that the heat wave is the main culprit, not chemicals or disease.
Are the affected leaves showing any other symptoms, yellowing, mosaic look, etc.?

~Martin

Last edited:
Hi All Leaves are looking great, so far NO discoloration.I'm hoping it is being caused by the recent heat waves. I don't see any insects at all. Don't want to lose these nice growing plants.

The mulch that was put into the ground with the tomato plants is the same, my wife used in the front with her garden.The town supplies the mulch from  tree leaves.Same goes for the store bought Cedar much that was used around plants, used the front garden..So it doesn't look like the mulch is the problem. Got my fingers crossed, once the heat wave breaks in couple of days I'll see.

Thanks Dan

Last edited:
I have also experienced this problem. When I did I just happened to have the guy from the extension service out to look at some other problems. found out it was caused by the grass clippings i was using for mulch. The yard had been sprayed for weeds and it was from carry over. He said not to bag them for mulch for several weeks after spraying.

I had this problem with my heirlooms last year, and ended up losing half of them.  After a bit of research last summer, I learned that the curly leaf disease is caused by one of two things...bacterial infection or insects.  If it is insects then you can use various methods and you will be fine.  If it is bacterial, it may be too late, as there is no remedy, especially if the bacteria reaches the soil.  I replaced the soil in my some of my pots from last year, and this summer those plants are fine.  The pots containing soil from last year are now demonstrating the same problem, and I think I am going to lose these plants.  Amazingly, the bacteria survived the winter and is starting to rear its ugly head again.  I will completely remove this soil (making sure not to just dump it in my yard) in my hopes to eliminate this problem for next year. 

I really hope your plants survive!  I speak from experience, losing them sucks!  Best wishes!
Here is a link to the disease he speaks of and other causes of curling tomato leaves....http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/vegetable/tomato-leaves-curling.htm  If you type tomato leaf curl virus in a google search it shows photos of affected plants to compare to yours. Hope it's not the problem but some of the photo's look like those you submitted.

Hi All Today I called the Dail Reid Horticultural Consultant Rutgers Cooperative Extension in my area. I had to leave a message and got a reply by message. The message said it was Fusarium Wilt caused by poor plant rotation. I checked the Net for FW and it doesn't sound like what is happening to my plants, no yellow leaves any where, bottom leaves are fine, fruit set is good.

I will have to call them back and hope to talk to a live person.My concern is about the tomato's, are they good to eat?

Thanks Dan

PS The tags that came with my plants say VFW, so they should be immune to FW.

Last edited:
Hi All I don't think my tomato plants have Fusarium wilts that was suggested to me by my area Cooperate Extension.

They sent me some reading material,on FW.. I went out into the garden and did a real good check, for FW, cut few thick stems no brown all green inside and wet look healthy to me. Bottom leaves green, NO yellowing at all, plus the plants should have been resistance to FW/VW.

Thanks Dan

Hi All Good news the problem with my tomato plants and thier curling leaves,was caused by the extreme hot weather here in Northen New Jersey.
Now thats it's cool off some and raining good, the plants, look much better .
Thanks Dan

Hi All Well after the curly leave scare, this year was one of the best years for tomatoes I've had in a long time. Just starting to take down plants. The tops are still a nice green color and still producing blossoms and fruit.

Overall after a the scare I'm a very happy with this years crop.

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky