Today's Turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
It's Turkey Day Today!

The 13 pounder was brined overnight. The CharGriller fired up to temps previously unknown to it. I wanted crisp skin and ran the unit at 300-325°F, it sure used a lot of charcoal, and burned off a bunch more paint. The reviews are in and it was worth all of the charcoal and burned off paint.

Bird placed in the smoker.

turkey_nov_21_2007_001.jpg

Hour and a half!

turkey_nov_21_2007_002.jpg

Ready for a rest before carving.

turkey_nov_21_2007_003.jpg

Plated with mashed sweet taters, cornbread dressing, smoked gravy, and jellied cranberry sauce.

turkey_nov_21_2007_004.jpg

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Thats a Great looking Turkey..
Man!! were off to a good start for Smoked Turkey pics... Can't wait and see what Friday brings..

I used no rub. I did spray it with a 3-1- mix of apple juice and Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum.

Regards,

Meowey

Thats some good stuff right there. Brings tears to my eyes, mainly cuz I gotta wait another day for mine to hopefully look that good.

I was just noticing the pop up is still down, wonder why!
icon_surprised.gif

I don't know what temps the pop ups are set to pop. I was measuring the breast and thigh with digital probes. I pulled it at the point when the breast was 166°F and the thigh was 173°F. I left the popper in so moisture would not run out during cooking.

The bird was done, moist and tasty!

Regards,

Meowey

Hey Meowey, Now we're talking turkey. Looks good and thanks for the Pics, I have been asked to smoke some turkeys in the future and now have an idea as to the color as it smokes

crap, I pulled mine out before it went into the brine. I hope I don't find a lil sprinkler under the lid tomorrow when I open the smoker!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Great color! You guys are killing me! My wife said conventional turkey for T-day, but has given me the green light for a smoked turkey for Christmas after seeing your pics. I"ll be busy. I'll have a ham to stuff on Christmas eve and a turkey to smoke on Christmas day! I couldn't have a better dilemma and your guys' pics are my inspiration. I plan to load up on some cherry this weekend, so may do the turkey in that. I'll smoke some chicken breasts as a test. I'm inspired!

As I had trouble maintaining a steady 325°F because of wind and the fact that the air temp was 33°F, it took a little under 4 hours.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Meowey

I think you're right about 180°F. If the breast gets to that temp it dries out.

Regards,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky