Today's smoke

Discussion in 'Pork' started by ron50, Sep 16, 2007.

1. ron50

ron50 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

NY
    This is a mixed smoke today. Trying my first lower fat fatty. I used a mix of 50% fat reduced JD sausage roll and mixed it with an equal amount ground turkey meat. Rolled it out, added some low fat cheddar and mozzarella cheese and some sauteed apple and onion.

Also doing a meatloaf. It's a mix of ground turkey and ground chicken with some onion and garlic powder, ketchup, ground black pepper, oregano,egg and breadcrumbs.

Since I don't want Debi yelling at me that I didn't fill my smoker :) I threw in some hot italian turkey sausages, and a few sweet potatoes. Next in will be some boneless chicken cutlets marinated in a lemon pepper mix and I'll finish it up with a turkey breast and some turkey wings which has been brining for a bit.

Beautiful day here, just trying to enjoy the blue skies and the thin blue smoke.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Damn Ron........you have meals prepared for the next week.......

whats the orange colored object sitting on the rolled out fatty?

Wd

3. ron50

NY
    That's just a chunk of chopped up cheddar, I was too lazy to shred the cheese.

4. walking dude

walking dude Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

ahhhh.......k.........looked like sweet potatoes.........YUK

Wd

5. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great! i haven't done the low fat stuff yet, fat is still a major food group to me.

6. ron50

NY
    I'd be kidding myself if I said this was low fat. It's just "lower" fat. Even the reduced fat sausages and cheese are full of fat, that's where the flavor is.

7. ron50

NY
    Well it's all done except for the bird which went in a short while ago.

I think the fatty was a success, very tasty despite the reduced fat.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. redbrinkman1955

redbrinkman1955 Smoking Fanatic

Sure looked good bet it tasted great,I just did my first fatty today
    I used cheddar and Pepperjack it gave it a good kick and tasted very good
    Good Luck and Good Smoking
    Redbrinkman1955[​IMG]

9. deejaydebi

deejaydebi Smoking Guru

Looks great Ron! I love a full smoker! [​IMG]

So how's the sweet taters on the smoker? Haven't tried those yet but I plan a sweet tater pie when they hit the farmers market!

Did you make the hot italian turkey sausages? I don't think Ive ever seen them in a store.

10. ron50

NY
    Hey Debi:

I don't know about the sweet taters; they are part of tomorrow's lunch so I'll let you know. I was trying to figure out how to get more smoke into them without cutting them open. I just wound up piercing them like 20 times hoping to get more smoke penetration. I also used a lot more wood then normal for the same reason.

The hot italian turkey sausages are from the supermarket; I haven;t ventured into sausage making yet.

11. squeezy

squeezy Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks good Ron ... way to use that SV! [​IMG]