Todays Smoke - - Brisket!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brentman0110

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Today, I am smoking 2/3 of a big a#@ brisket that I bought a couple of weeks ago. I am using my ECB once again! This is the point and the middle section. Put it in at Noonthirty.
87cd1a7f_vbattach15985.jpg

07a2d6c2_vbattach15986.jpg

Nice Brent! Your gonna be up LATE!!! I have a 15.1#er that I put on about 6am. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do it, so I said #$%^& it!!!

I'm at about 160 now.

Keep us updated! Is this your first one?

This is only my second one. The two pieces together weigh about 10#'s. It is about 70F here in Nashville, TN and am maintaining a pretty constant 230F. I did my first mop @ 2:30 with Jim Beam BBQ sauce mixed with Brown sugar and mustard with a dash of Worschetishishetrsheteritershister sauce. Already at 130F. It is rising a lot faster than I had expected. Could it be because the meat was frozen and when I thawed it, it lost a good amount of blood?
ae64681a_vbattach15987.jpg

If my smoker temp is maxing out at 230F, any ideas on why the brisket is already at 140F in just 3 hrs? Could it be because of the situation that I spoke of earlier?

Are you sure that the temperature of the smoker is accurate? Is the thermometer calibrated?

Good q. I just checked with 2 diff thermometers and it is actually at 250F. I guess that could explain the temp. Anyway, The meat has hit the plateau as it has now been at 140F for 1.5 hrs. Just re-mopped.
320aad99_vbattach15992.jpg

It looks real good and I bet it will taste even better.

OK, fellas. 5.5 hours in, 3rd mop and at 160F. For slicing thin, what temp should I pull it at...185F?
c43ff6db_vbattach15998.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky