To Soak Or Not To Soak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cruiser rod

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 18, 2013
South Jersey
I've just started smoking with a MES and a few of my buddies told me that they don't soak their wood chips. I had a Big Chief cold smoker and I always soaked my chips and always had good smoke. Using the MES when I soak the chips I don't see as much smoke. Is it me or should I not soak my chips?

I don't think smoking chips does anything except create steam.  As far as I can tell, soaking does nothing for quality of smoke and only slows down the process.  It is pretty easy to add more chips to your MES if you want a longer smoke.  Just my .02.

JD

In the MES, I have found using less chips, more often, provides a better smoke on food..  a 1/4 cup of chips about every 30-45 minutes works well for me...   I don't soak chips... If you want moisture in the smoker, a small aluminum pan with a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water, for the first few hours of smoke, will add sufficient moisture to the smoker.... 

Dave

Last edited:
Reactions: smokinhusker

In the MES, I have found using less chips, more often, provides a better smoke on food..  a 1/4 cup of chips about every 30-45 minutes works well for me...   I don't soak chips... If you want moisture in the smoker, a small aluminum pan with a 1/4 - 1/2 cup of water, for the first few hours of smoke, will add sufficient moisture to the smoker.... 

Dave
He said it all!

From my newly recent experience I agree with y'all. I did have a concern with a flavor difference but that has been answered here too. Thanks again!

The only thing you will get from soaking your chips is a few more minutes of smoke. The chips are to thin/small to retain much water and it evaporates quickly. In my opinion it is a waste of time to soak them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky