To slice or pull...That is the question!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meandmytwodogs

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 27, 2008
Beaver Lake/Plattsmouth, Nebraska
What's your favorite way to serve up a brisket, sliced or pulled? I have never pulled one myself, nor have I ever been served pulled beef. I'm sure there are reasons to do it both ways. But what is YOUR FAVORITE?

Dave

Only done a couple of them, but I like them sliced. Now butts, those I always pull.

Dave.........to me, it depends on how i want to serve it.......as sandwiches, or a sit down meal, with all the fixings..........

Sliced.
biggrin.gif

Ditto!
biggrin.gif

You want pulled beef, smoke a chuckie.
You really need to eat it sliced to enjoy the tenderness that you can get from a Brisket.

Ditto WD
I have done them both ways, and I love either way...dressed up (sliced) or dressed down...(pulled) You can still use it for sammies either way, it is for me, the presentation...(I do pulling my briskey when I am experimenting with a finishing sauce)
Happy Smokes!

Both for me too. Slices are nice and pretty, but chopped/pulled deckle is wonderful, especially burnt ends!

Since ya mentioned it, thats what we are havin for dinner tonight, chopped burnt ends on a toasted roll with a slice of provalone melted over the top of the meat. Au jus on the side!
wink.gif

pulled chuck is great, and chopped point is not too bad either!

I like to slice it for the meal (usually more than just me and the Mrs. when we do a brisket) but then what's left I pull and put in a big tub. What doesn't get snacked on I try to get into a sammie.. <grin>
biggrin.gif

I almost always pull them for sandwiches

I've found that it's best to decide what you are going to do with it before you smoke. With butts, the temp you pull at really affects the consistency of the finished meat, lower for slicing, higher for pulling.

The same can be said of brisket. Besides, the meat fibers in brisket are very long. When I have 'pulled' a brisket, I usually slice against the grain every 1 1/2" or so, and shred those. That keeps the 'stringy' mouth feel to a minimum.

Best of luck whichever you choose!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky