To poke holes or not in a steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

keywesmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2007
key west, fl
Wow this little catagory hasn't seen any action in a while!

There's a two-camp thing on whether to stab meat with holes before grilling to tenderize, or let marinade in it.
One camp says use a meat fork or a fancy tool and poke holes in it, it lets the marinade in and makes the meat tender!
The other camp says don't poke holes, you seize the meat and toughen membranes, and natural juice will flow out on grilling.
What do you do? Poke or no poke?

Don't poke, but can see the other side of thot. I may do it on a cheeper cut, have considerd a juccartti thing.

I dont poke or marinade. I just rub mine with salt and pepper. Then on to a really hot grill for a few minutes on each side. I like to hear mine mooing when I bite it.

Depends on the cut of beef. If it was a T-bone, Sirloin, Rib Eye, etc. that I only wanted done med-rare, I would never. With London Broil or Flank, always. London Broil and Flank are tough cuts that come out great when you let them tenderize out. Like brisket or butts? Sound familiar? Here's a great recipe, but grill it really slow to well done and slice across the grain. mmmmmmmmmm

Balsamic Marinated London Broil

Serves 4

(Good as tortilla roll-ups w/lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream, and side of guacamole)

2 lb London Broil
Unseasoned Meat Tenderizer
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar or molasses
1 teaspoon dried Thyme
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper or Montreal Steak Seasoning
8 cloves Garlic, sliced, crushed, and then minced

With a fork and Tenderizer, tenderize the meat on both sides. Let sit 10 minutes.

Combine the rest of ingredients in a small bowl.

Pour over london broil placed in a gallon zip-lock bag.

Marinate for four hours or more in refrigerator.

Grille to desired doneness.

Mooing good! To poke or not to poke. That is defiantly the question.

If you decide to poke, do not poke across the grain. The meat cells will tighten.

Personally I don't poke.

Mix Worcestershire and soy sauce and pour onto meat and add a dash of garlic powder, salt and pepper at leat 30min before cooking.

Sometimes I might use a little italian dressing too.

NOTE: steak sauce won't be needed

Be sure to throw just a little pecan on the coals.

I have yet to find anyone to top my steaks! I simply refuse to go to steak houses.

I have a good Vet, he has brought a few of my steaks back to life.

I never poke my steaks, the juices will run out during grilling. I don't marinade them either. I brush evoo on mine then rub with some kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and grill it over charcoal. I refuse to go to steak houses as well.

From a chef in another forum, I quote:
In my experiences, Never pierce any type of meat. If you don't have time for a marinade, use a dry rub. I agree with always searing first. Then baste with your creative marinade. When you let the meat rest, all the flavours will be absorbed along with the juices. I have tossed out all "Meat forks" and "Carving forks" in my world. No use for them. And dockers are only for pastry. Only good tongs. Stabbing the meats will only toughen the membranes. The meat will sieze.

Hmm. Interesting, sounds reasonable. I would stab skirt and flank for sure, skirt being a cow's diaphram muscle and flank being cheap muscle, but I think with good cuts I'll flash sear with high heat for a nice Maillard effect then rest then grill.

Season with : kosher salt 3 parts, coarse ground black pepper 1 part, granulated garlic 1 part. Do not poke!

the only "steak" i eat is a ribeye & @ $6.00 per lb i sure as he** ain't sticking it until i'm eating it. that aside you can marinade over night using balsamic vin & that makes them really tender w/ a great flavor. the only time i stick something i'm cooking is to put a probe in it & that stays in until done.- but thats me.

I noticed in the King Ranch gift catalog today that you could get a Prime aged ribeye for $90, or you can get a Choice aged ribeye for $70. Weight is 2 1/2 lbs and that does not include shipping.

I guess it would depend on two things:
the type of meat
what flavor you are trying to achive

I love teriaki steak, it'd be hard not to make a good teraki without marinating
by the same token I wouldn't use a porterhouse to make teriaki steak

Poking before grilling is not sooo bad, especially if the steak hits a 400 or better grill. It gets seared closed, and allows marinade penetration. Poking WHILE grilling - No-No.

HINT: Vac seal steaks with the marinade and chill for an hour before grilling. The penetration of the marinade is increased by a ton...and look, ma...no holes!

my method... never poke holes in the meat... just the fat... seems to flavor the meat and melt the fat into the meat better...

It's ok to pull your meat But do not POKE IT!

Poking before grilling is not sooo bad, especially if the steak hits a 400 or better grill. It gets seared closed, and allows marinade penetration. Poking WHILE grilling - No-No.

HINT: Vac seal steaks with the marinade and chill for an hour before grilling. The penetration of the marinade is increased by a ton...and look, ma...no holes!
Richtee, I vac my steaks also.
Vac sealing ruptures the meat cells pulling air and liquid out ....then when the vacuum is released the marinade is pushed into the meat by atmospheric pressure if the marinade covers the meat. So for all practical purposes Vac sealing meat covered in marinade is poking of a sort.
smile.gif

Last edited:
never really considered poking holes......but I generally only grill a really nice chunk of meat......
45.gif
 interesting thought though

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky