To foil or not to Foil

Discussion in 'Pork' started by funk, Feb 18, 2010.

1. funk

funk Smoke Blower

I have used the 3-2-1 method for my ribs in the past and they have been good. I am thinking of experimenting without the foil this weekend. Should I mop them every half hour after the first 3 hours or mop right from the beginning?

2. reichl

reichl Meat Mopper

lol to foil or not to foil. I personally don't mop when I foil but I mop once an hour when I don't foil. My favorite way is to cook at a smoker temp of 210* without foiling and mop when the ribs sweat (helljacks method I believe).

3. triplebq

triplebq Smoking Fanatic

Tx
    don't cut the foiling , cut the last step in half . I can't help with the mopping as I just spray mine with apple juice . I would be more inclined to check the cooking temps before skipping the foiling . But Qview it and let us know if it works I will steal it ! lmao

4. chisoxjim

chisoxjim Master of the Pit OTBS Member

actually helljack borrowed the method from Mike Mills. [​IMG]

try them without foil, you might never go back, I havent.

spritzing every half hour will have you opening the smoker too much, I wait til about 2 - 2.5 hours in before applying some mop/spritz liquid. DOnt want to wash off your rub by doing this step too early.

good luck.

5. reichl

reichl Meat Mopper

Oh yeah... your memory must be better then mine.

6. chisoxjim

7. reichl

reichl Meat Mopper

I dont know him personally or anything, but from what Ive seen he signs on and posts in spurts.

8. triplebq

triplebq Smoking Fanatic

Tx
    That is how I spray mine , areounbd two hours in but I have water pane under them full of apple juice . Now yuou have me thinking I should try your way without foil . I don't mean to hijack the thread but thanks for the tip .

9. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hey there Jim wasnt helljack Le??? Now he boiled his ribs now didn't he. Maybe thats why he didn't foil them to try to get some flavor back into them. I have smoked ribs without foiling but I do prefer to foil to me they get alot more tender in the foil I just don't foil them for the whole 2 hours I go maybe about 1 1/2 hour.

10. chisoxjim

Le was the rib boiler from Nebraska, until he got under Mike Mills wing..[​IMG]

good luck experimenting with foil and not, I had a competition guy turn me onto foil, they turned out too mushy, and FOB for my taste.

11. wmarkw

wmarkw Smoking Fanatic

No foil! I smoke for about 5.5-6 hours then will apply my sauce and let it go for another 45 mins or so. Total smoke time 6.5 to 7 hours.

The only time I open the smoker is to shove an ABT in my mouth or add wood. Keep that baby closed.