Timing smoke ribs or shoulder first?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rabdu

Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
I am smoking baby back ribs and a pork shoulder tomorrow. I can't smoke them both at the same time because my smoker isn't big enough. Anyone have an opinion on which I should smoke first so that both are ideal for dinner time tomorrow?

I would cook the shoulder first. Easier to reheat.

If you can't fit them in the same smoker, you won't be eating both tomorrow unless you go out and get another smoker. Shoulder will take 1 1/2- 2 hours per pound, ribs take 5-6 hours depending on type of ribs. Since you can't cook at the same time neither could be ready at the same time.

Cook your shoulder first, as it can be reheated easier. Then do the ribs. Get that shoulder going now though so you can free up your smoker for the ribs.

I thought I might be able to do baby back ribs in 3-4 hours and finish the pork shoulder in the oven...

How about some more information.

1. Type of smoker and temp you plan to run the pit?

2. How much does the Shoulder weigh?

3. bone in or boneless shoulder?

Your baby back ribs in a 225°-250° will take 4-5 hours. Your shoulder will take 1 1/2-2 hours per pound to reach an IT of 205°.  Then it will need a good 45min-1 hour rest wrapped in foil prior to pulling.

I am using a meco electric water smoker. The pork shoulder is 12 lbs total (its cut in half). The larger half has the bone in it. I put the pork shoulder in at 8:00am this morning.

It is actually having a little trouble keeping the temperature down in the smoker today, that has never happened before. I am wondering if the hickory chunks I am using are adding too much heat or something. I had to add more water, turn the element down and take the cover off a few times to keep it from getting to hot.

I was thinking I could take to pork off at 6 hours around 185-190F and then put it in foil in the oven for an hour. in the mean time that would give me 4.5 hours to do the ribs and the smoker would already be hot....

rabdu, I'd take the pork to 165 and then foil it and put it in the oven at 250 and then put your ribs right into the smoker at 225. This way both should be ready around the same time. If one beats the other, just foil it and put it in a cooler until the other catches up. Don't over complicate this when a simple solution is right in front of ya.

Don't forget the q-view!

I am using a meco electric water smoker. The pork shoulder is 12 lbs total (its cut in half). The larger half has the bone in it. I put the pork shoulder in at 8:00am this morning.

It is actually having a little trouble keeping the temperature down in the smoker today, that has never happened before. I am wondering if the hickory chunks I am using are adding too much heat or something. I had to add more water, turn the element down and take the cover off a few times to keep it from getting to hot.

I was thinking I could take to pork off at 6 hours around 185-190F and then put it in foil in the oven for an hour. in the mean time that would give me 4.5 hours to do the ribs and the smoker would already be hot....
Since you have cut the shoulder in half, your target weight is now 6 pounds not 12. So your probably looking at 12 hours at 225-250.  I would keep the shoulder in the smoker until you need to put the ribs on.

rabdu, I'd take the pork to 165 and then foil it and put it in the oven at 250 and then put your ribs right into the smoker at 225. This way both should be ready around the same time. If one beats the other, just foil it and put it in a cooler until the other catches up. Don't over complicate this when a simple solution is right in front of ya.

Don't forget the q-view!
What he said.  Once you have wrapped, there is no magic in what heat source they finish in. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky