Timing for a Bone In Shoulder Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

txmike

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Sugar Land, TX
What would a good average time to cook a 5.5lb Bone in shoulder roast at 225°F. 1 hr/lb?? 1 1/2 hr/lb?? I would like to have it resting in the cooler at 4:00 to 5:00pm and start eating at 5:00 to 6:00pm.

Any info would help.

The basic rule of thumb is 1.5 hours per pound at 225. Your results may vary, so it is always better to go by temp than time and just to use the 1.5 hours per pound as a guesstimate towards your finishing time.

I would start early and if done before you want foil and wrap in towel and put in cooler.  Seems all my butts have a big stall lately.

cool.gif

An hour and a half is a good rule of thumb but you should allow more time cause after all you can leave it in the cooler for a few hours till your ready to serve you butts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky