Time to try some cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chewmeister

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 28, 2013
Eastern PA
Now that it's starting to cool off, I would like to try smoking some cheese. What seems to be the favored kind of wood to use? Will probably start with an aged cheddar. Opinions please.

Thanks for the replies. Probably start out mild with some cherry and alder and go from there.

Years back we'd save them ( corn cobs) all summer long and dry them out. Come fall they'd smoke hams and cheese in the smoke house. I was younger and had no interest other than eating the stuff and some other teenage standards. It took 3 decades for the "need to know" to develop. You can find the cob pellets on Todds pages for the AMPNS.

One thing about northern Vt, maple maple everywhere!

Last edited:
Years back we'd save them ( corn cobs) all summer long and dry them out. Come fall they'd smoke hams and cheese in the smoke house. I was younger and had no interest other than eating the stuff and some other teenage standards. It took 3 decades for the "need to know" to develop. You can find the cob pellets on Todds pages for the AMPNS.

One thing about northern Vt, maple maple everywhere!
Thanks for the info. I will take a look at those. Spending most of my life in WI, I have enjoyed some of the best cheeses to be had. Can't find too many WI cheeses out here in PA so I will have to try and make do with what I can find here. Maybe plan a trip back there for some 5 and 10 year old cheddar at some point. That stuff is aesome and really good smoked.

I like apple, let us know how you do, and remember 
worthless.gif

Good luck

DS

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky