Time to try Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 4, 2008
Crestview Fl
Ok time to join the band wagon and give bacon a shot. Finally found these at the commissary on base for 1.76 a pound.

They went in Pops brine yesterday for the 14 day soak. Packed them in a 5 gallon zip lock bag and got as much air out as I could then set them in a pot in the frig. A walk in cooler would be the ticket for this smoking hobby!

Last edited:
Pulled the belies out of the brine and rinsed off. Hung in front of a fan to dry for 2 hours. They still feel like I just pulled
Them
Out of the package? I would have thought they would be dry? Are they still ok to cold smoke?

ok rewashed and will dry off with a paper towels and rehang with the fan on them. Much cooler out today and less humidity

What I think happened..... the bellies were still cold... and that was condensate re-forming.... For a pellicle to form, the meat needs to be at a temperature above the dew point...

Dave

They are still hanging in the garage and it's 45 out there. Should I bring them in the house? Since is my first endeavor at bacon not 100% positive of what they should look like when they are ready,

Pulled if the bacon after a 12 hour smoke with mix of apple and hickory. Sliced off a piece for a test fry. Bacon was very bland other than the smoke flavor. I followed Pops brine other than I used kosher salt instead of sea salt. Got it setting in the frig over night to see if it gets any better. And I don't get ill after eating the test pieces!

Pulled if the bacon after a 12 hour smoke with mix of apple and hickory. Sliced off a piece for a test fry. Bacon was very bland other than the smoke flavor. I followed Pops brine other than I used kosher salt instead of sea salt. Got it setting in the frig over night to see if it gets any better. And I don't get ill after eating the test pieces!
First of all test fry before you smoke, saltiness mainly, you can soak them in cold water if to salty. Nothing can be done after smoked. @nd bacon needs to rest to let the smoke mellow. I didn't taste mine right after but that could be your problem. Why didn't you just throw brine in bucket, not food grade I'm assuming. It kinda reads like you put bacon in bags down in brine. Hope this helps. I have only done a 1 batch and did great in pops brine, but have read and read up on this.

Bama, morning...... I have found weighing the water, sugar, meat etc. then adding a percentage of salt gets a repeatable salt flavor...
I usually add 2% salt by weight... volume measure is not equal as different salts weigh more or less per volume..

just fried up my bacon for the first time this morning.  I did pops brine with kosher salt as well and it was awesome.  I didnt do a taste test after but i let sit in the fridge for 2 days.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky