time to try again new smoker to start

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sawruff

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 19, 2010
AZ Mayer
try try again the first one did not come out to my liking   its $$$ to run just not the best looking  by far so here is what i have to start with the cooking space is 14x42 the fire box is 12x20   my welds are getting batter so  will kept the pic coming has i go
dc580e23_Jenny%20040.jpg

Reactions: smokingohiobutcher
flame on

c0894b29_100_0261.jpg

899714d5_100_0262.jpg

i cut the hole 3x6 for the opening from the firebox to the cooking space

2239f194_100_0266.jpg

and then weld them together  
d287dded_100_0268.jpg

4d9f5f9b_100_0270.jpg

taking pic at night well my welds are not great they are better then my first build     pic of it up on a 55 gal drum

80d40f53_100_0267.jpg

that is it for tonight   

i was think on the reverse flow plat would i be able to drop it down a inch or so so i have more room in the cook space    

thx SAW

well its about 1'' bigger all the way around thats how the holds work out to fit together   its 3x6 i think calc said the hold is 4x6 or so next is the stand when i make to steel yard some day i hope

well had some time to work on my smoker this weekend i did the lids , stand , a rack at the bottom and the stack. I use a old guard rail my friend give me work out not to mad

dcc73a29_littler%20biger%20smoker%20003.jpg

2a008200_littler%20biger%20smoker%20002.jpg

f464a79f_littler%20biger%20smoker%20001.jpg

its been raining here a lot im going to have to sand this thing down a lot but that will be a little later thought 

Ya see, smoker builds are an addiction, just like smoking. Once ya build one its just not enough or just not the way you want it. I'm working on my 5th and 6th right now. I dont want to admit it but I am almost wishing that one of them doesn't find a new owner, I kinda like the way they run. You have probably already look at it but here is the link to my build. I am using 18" pipe and opened the end for the firebox about 5", added the rf plate and still ended up with about 3 to 4 inch's between the rf plate and the grate.

My Build

In my opinion you should have plenty of room.

has any one seen a redneck roller well this is what i did 1.25 flat stack was bending my door  so this is what i did      I NEED MORE TOOLS

49418e68_fristdayatschool004.jpg

15d79e6c_fristdayatschool005.jpg

c04cae36_fristdayatschool006.jpg

well got the door almost  done need to do the handle on the fire box
4dbcf659_littlerbigersmoker001.jpg

dfd59a4b_littlerbigersmoker002.jpg

i got to clean it up some more but its getting there for teaching myself in all of this metal working stuff i think im doing good

Hey Saw,

There is nothing wrong with teaching yourself. See the cool part is that you arn't paying someone to weld for you, and its not like you are building a trailer that could fly apart at 70 mph. I guess if a shelf lets go you may have to take a slab in the house and rinse it off. LOL

I'm no pro by any means, maybe a professional grinder but not a welder. I have built a few things that were critical but in my plans I built in a manor that if a weld failed it would not be catastrophic. Here is a pic of a hitch I built.

7ef24fe2_Photo226.jpg

See on the ends how the square tube is cut thru the bent plate, had this joint been a fillet and just had the square tube welded to the bent plate I would have never welded this my self. Now the center is a little different since the receiver tube is welded on
sides and then there is a plate on the front and also on the back. And these welds were burnt in hot and deep with a fresh batch of 7018.

I happen to think its pretty cool when someone has the ambition to take on a new task and become good at it.

Nice work.

BTW ummm please tell us that the tank you used for a roller is a empty and safe propane tank, and not one that is in service still.

I would hate to hear about ya scooting along at half the speed of light and flames shooting out your A$$.  I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

oh ya the thing been in my yard for about
weeks with the vale open and up side down my wife look at me like i was some mad man when i first did it my boss said about the same thing when i ask to have all the tanks he had at the yard

well my 2st Dad told me most people fall into there Carree and its not the one they when to school for so how knows im like this hold building just would love some more tools for it intill then redneck all the way

Good Deal man, I feel better now so a new guy don't come along and see the tank and try it himself with a good tank.

I hear ya about the tool deal, I work my tail off for my toys but I still never have enough money. I want a roller really bad but I have no mill or lathe so it makes it tough to build some tools. Morkdach said he built a roller, I am really curious to see a pic of it, to know if I have a chance of building my own.

I think I will start a thread with store bought and also homemade tools that may pertain to smoking. There are some pretty good idea's floating around out there that are darn slick tools for bending. It wasnt long ago that I read a thread where the guy used his boat winch to bend the flange for his door.

Since I am in the pro grinder category I think I am going to try these out for clean up.

http://pdf.directindustry.com/pdf/walter-international/flexible-grinding-wheel/26411-19214.html

What have you decided about paint on the firebox?

I think I want to try the oil treatment on mine and then paint the cook chamber.

ok now u lost me there a oil treatment and then u can paint it ???????     

i was think after i sand it down i was going to paint the bottom unturned the rf plat then put the plat in to help stop the rust for a little bit well i use high temp spayer paint for grills and wood stoves for my mini smoker so i'll most likey use that it 3.49 a can

so from what i think ur saiding is do the seanding of it and then paint it

As best as I remember, you clean up the steel by what ever means are needed. Sandblasting, sanding, or acid wash, then clean it up and wipe it down with cooking oil. I think all that is needed is to treat it like you would with a cast iron skillet. I think I will only do this on the firebox.

well had some time to play today got some more done got the hold fill in 
65fe7609_Smoker2007.jpg

d85f15fa_Smoker2003.jpg

got the locks on for the door 

9d9cd358_Smoker2005.jpg

put a rack on it   i wanted up more but my door is not even so i put it down so it don't show to much

978e260c_Smoker2006.jpg

just little more to do put the rf plat in air inlet firebox handle on     clean her up alot and paint    intill then   SAWRUFF    Scott

Good Deal man, I feel better now so a new guy don't come along and see the tank and try it himself with a good tank.

I hear ya about the tool deal, I work my tail off for my toys but I still never have enough money. I want a roller really bad but I have no mill or lathe so it makes it tough to build some tools. Morkdach said he built a roller, I am really curious to see a pic of it, to know if I have a chance of building my own.
Tom Is the roller you are talking about like the one I picked up at an auction

Check this post out...http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/95894/auction-treasures

SOB

TY SOB, actuly no that roller would be sweet but what I am looking for would roll maybe up to 12" wide and 1/4" thick at least.My main want for it is so that I can roll the wheels on my RF project.

well got the plat about ready to go in got the holds in  got the ball vale and the pipe   forgot the paint thought i am going to paint the bell with the high temp paint to help stop the rust so here are the pic

cb5c03da_100_0403.jpg
562555ab_100_0405.jpg

edf5abeb_100_0404.jpg

hope to go to town tomorrow to get the paint                SAWRUFF

well ive done 3 dry burns the last one had temp gauge i could not get over about 210 or so  all my opening are right

would anyone have the fix to this i would like to bealbe to get to 350 or so here are somr pic

2c0b5e31_littlerbigersmoker001.jpg

478328fc_littlerbigersmoker002.jpg

4ad58e0a_littlerbigersmoker003.jpg
2d6bf1bd_littlerbigersmoker004.jpg

a8f8e7d5_littlerbigersmoker006.jpg
355400e6_littlerbigersmoker007.jpg

thx for looking SAWRUFF

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky