Time to test this thing out

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like some nice smoke coming out of that thing.

What's that old Chevy?

That's the neighbors Camper Special, not sure the year late seventies early 80's. My first truck was a 77' camper special!

Okay one rack is done, the Mustard Sauce rack. The second rack with the Sweet Baby Rays is close but not quite ready. It was a bit thicker than the other.

6e42918bc9f4f2321a0c17ac194b9df5.jpg

70f80b5b897fbbd2e4dc4fb50a9e567d.jpg

6de9444ea0438543242b430c94af3e92.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Looks great! I have a beef rib rack just about to finish up, but it doesn't look as good as that.

The first rack should be gone by now. Time for seconds.

They look great.

Okay here's the full report. The ribs texture wise were spot on how I like them. Good amount of bark. The mustard sauce was awesome! The smoke flavor was lacking. Not as much as I like, in fact almost none. Guess I'm just too used to the Mini and UDS!

e39f6d679bd52744ac77d2441c1b02cd.jpg

f1c0bd688f53ecdbca5109b126abed6a.jpg

Smoke away!!!

Maybe thats why people use the tube in pellet smokers.

Looks good.

Looks at the bight side you have a good smoker for cheese and sausage :sausage:

Ribs look good Case! Well at least you tried it. Guess you could always keep it as a spare spare!
Thanks Brooksy!!! The mustard sauce is AWESOME!

Yeah I'm currently using the Traeger to hold down the concrete slab in my garage. Seems to do a good job at that!

I'm struggling to justify having my Traeger when it goes to smoke flavor and the "pellet in a pellet" comment is quite true.  I'm scratching my head as to why it should be this way.  I'm not saying what I've smoked hasn't been good, but just lacking.

I will say that when it comes down to "just set it and forget it", I find it an easy and a complete unit needing no mods except for adding a pellet tray(I also tried the amaz'n tube but I'm not sold on it... maybe another thread to post about).

I think that the biggest drawback so far has been that the meats tend to be drier due to the constant air flow from the fan.  The xception is that I get a better skin on a whole chicken.

With that this said, I think I prefer my smaller 30" MB analog smoker with all of the mods and additional homemade PID controller. AND, for a lot less money compared to the price of a Traeger 075 of nearly $1000.  If I had paid that much, I would not have hesitated to return it to Costco.

-Brian

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky