Time to smoke Pastrami...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
So...
Choice Angus briskets went on sale about a month ago for $1.99/#. I bought 5, but saved the smallest one for pastrami. I put it in cure and salt and 10 days came and went...hurricanes...bad weather...anyways, it is now 25 days later and great sunny day today so time to smoke it.

Back on Sept. 2nd.:
Trimmed up ready for dry cure rub..
IMG_20200902_145026.jpg

Salt, cure and spices
IMG_20200902_145317.jpg

all sealed up for a nap in the refrigerator.
IMG_20200902_145924.jpg

25 days later, rinse off, pat dry, coat with a little brandy, and then pastrami rub. Inda smokehouse now with Hickory and cherry wood rolling smoke to it about 250*...

IMG_20200927_084826.jpg

I'll be watching.....
Today I'm cooking the flat from my $1.99 brisket, but froze the point. What was the formula of the seasoned cure you used for corning?

I'll be watching.....
Today I'm cooking the flat from my $1.99 brisket, but froze the point. What was the formula of the seasoned cure you used for corning?
I used this dry curing spice mix X11.5 for the weight of the meat I had...
https://honest-food.net/goose-pastrami-recipe/

The salt, I used 1.5% the weight of the meat. The cure #1 I used 0.25% weight of the meat.

The rub,
1/2 c. coarse ground coriander
1/2c. coarse ground black pepper

I used about 3/4 cup of that on the cured brisket...

Definitely watching this! I haven't made pastrami in a while. Might be time to start one myself.

I used this dry curing spice mix X11.5 for the weight of the meat I had...
https://honest-food.net/goose-pastrami-recipe/

The salt, I used 1.5% the weight of the meat. The cure #1 I used 0.25% weight of the meat.

The rub,
1/2 c. coarse ground coriander
1/2c. coarse ground black pepper

I used about 3/4 cup of that on the cured brisket...

Just so I'm on the same page, you cured with a seasoned cure for 25 days, rinsed then added the coriander/black pepper rub before smoking? I'm liking this idea. I'm on board with the 1.5% salt and .25% Cure #1, but I generally add pickling spice so I'm getting a corned beef..... then adding my pastrami rub and my garlic pepper seasoning before smoking. Your recipe sounds like a one-two pastrami knockout punch. I'm looking forward to your review.

Yes third eye, you got that correct. But after the rinse, and a pat dry, I wet the meat with brandy. I've used that recipe for both goose breast pastrami and venison pastrami from various whole muscles. Always fantastic results. First time using it with a beef brisket...but I expect the same...

6 hours in @250*F....INT is at 156*F. I'm gonna take it to around 180*, then pull it, let it rest, then vac pack it. Gonna sous vide tomorrow for supper @ the firehouse...

I'm thinking 3 hours@160*F...that ought to make it tender, but not fall apart tender, firm enough to slice.

Looks good already. I've tried several different recipes for pastrami, gotten mostly OK results. I'm always looking for new ones and this looks like it's next on the list. Thanks, looking forward to your finished product.

6 hours in @250*F....INT is at 156*F. I'm gonna take it to around 180*, then pull it, let it rest, then vac pack it. Gonna sous vide tomorrow for supper @ the firehouse...

I'm thinking 3 hours@160*F...that ought to make it tender, but not fall apart tender, firm enough to slice.
This plan looks intriguing. Waiting to see how it works out.

This plan looks intriguing. Waiting to see how it works out.
Braz- I have seen it done in reverse. sous vide and then smoke...but smoke penetrates and adheres much better to raw meat, with a much better bark. So I'm gonna smoke it first, then sous vide.

Katz smokes first, then steams....I'm gonna sous vide in place of the steaming.

Reactions: MJB05615
I've found steaming to be kind of a PITA. That's why the sous vide finish looks appealing.

Reactions: indaswamp
Well, I made a rookie mistake when I figured the salt for the pastrami. I used the green untrimmed weight for the salt amount, instead of the trimmed weight. I cut a corner off the smoked pastrami for a sample and was genuinely surprised by the saltiness. I had to think for a minute to figure out my error. Also, though I have done wild game pastrami before, I never let the INT get above 130-135*F so the meat stays tender. Not much evaporative cooling or water loss. Didn't think about the fact that I'd be taking the beef brisket to 180*F+ and there would be water loss which concentrates the salt. So-I weighed the smoked brisket to get a baseline figure to work with for next time.
Finished weight is 6.5#
Starting untrimmed weight was 11.83#

So, I will multiply the raw untrimmed weight of the next pastrami brisket by 0.55 and use that figure to calculate my salt in grams. Problem solved.

It's never a mistake if you learn from it....it's an experiment!

So learn from my mistake. Had I even known, I would have asked the brethren here on SMF for advice....

So, I will multiply the raw untrimmed weight of the next pastrami brisket by 0.55 and use that figure to calculate my salt in grams. Problem solved.

Yes, trimmed weight verses un-trimmed weight is a big factor. Just curious, after your 25 day cure how long was your soak-out? That should have knocked the salt down a little. On the next batch, why not weigh the trimmed brisket and calculate 1.5% of that actual weight for your salt instead of using a 0.55 multiplication factor?

When you pastrami wild game, or a turkey breast the final internal is somewhat low because you are usually using prime parts (backstraps or turkey breasts) and they don't need high internal temps.

I usually calculate the salt on all my cures so I really don't need to be concerned with multiple rinsing or long soaking. I now have it figured out for the next time. Matter of fact, I just pulled out another brisket to thaw for another go at it...

Her she is folks...
IMG_1233.jpg

Sous Vide worked out well. In 145* water bath @10am this morning for 7 hours, then bump to 182*F for 2 hours. Tender, but firm enough to slice 1/8" and still stay together. Everything bout this pastrami was perfect...except for the salt.....but I'll nail the next ones. Should have it dialed in now.

Her she is folks...

Sous Vide worked out well. In 145* water bath @10am this morning for 7 hours, then bump to 182*F for 2 hours. Tender, but firm enough to slice 1/8" and still stay together. Everything bout this pastrami was perfect...except for the salt.....but I'll nail the next ones. Should have it dialed in now.
There's no picture here. Glad it worked out. I've saved all of your info and will be trying this soon.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky