Time for Turkey - Question??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binindy

Original poster
Aug 21, 2008
Can someone give me a "minutes per pound" recommendation for turkey... temp will be 225 on a side box. Just need to figure-out a start time...

The bird weighs 14lbs.

Thanks in advance...this site kicks-***.

Low & slow isn't always needed on poultry, especially if it has been brined, some folks use a higher temp to try and crisp the skin. So, that would change any time recommendation, but it would take less time than low & slow.

I did a 13lber. not too long ago. My temps fluxed quite a bit but on average they were 225 or lower. I think the bird took about 6 hrs. If I had the temp. up I know it would have been quicker. I've seen quite a few posts where people have cooked them at 275 or greater and they get done much sooner (obviously). I think the consensus would be to cook it at a higher temp to take it out of the 'danger zone' asap. I'm sure these ramblings won't help! Sorry if I took up too much space and time!
Good luck! Peace!

J-

edit-oh yeah! cook to temp not time!

Well for one you can only get a basic cause it will not be done until its ready. Normal 350 degrees average 15 minutes a pound. So lower temps mean longer cook time. I would go with a higher heat, if done sooner then needed you can always carve it and foil it put in oven on low heat til your ready to serve.

Higher temps are best with poultry. And don't ya DARE stuff it. Go with 250 or better and "git'r'done". You risk the dreaded "rubber skin" at lower temps...

BinIndy,
Richtee is right on...there is a cheat sheet guide line Jeff has provided on the left side of the page with temps/times...
Remember cook to temp...I hope you brined that baby! YUMMY!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky