Time for some Venison sausage ....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bombo80

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Bloomington
This weekend I am planning of making two kind of venison sausage. Jumbo wieners and bratwurst. I was planning on making summer sausage too, but my casings are questionable. (bug infestation) I need to get new ones. So, already having hog casings, I am making wieners and brats instead.

I went to a local meat shop (Von Hansen's) and ordered a 60# box of 50/50 pork trim. I portioned it into 5# freezer bags, last night. It's nice not having to worry about refrigeration this time of year. (Minnesota) I also have a breezeway between the house and garage to put the stuff, so the critters stay out of it. I got my venison thawing out today.

If my math is correct, 15 pounds of venison, mixed with 10 pounds of 50/50 trim, will yield out to ~25 pounds of sausage at 80% lean. I might even back it off to 7 pounds of 50/50 trim, to give me about 85% lean end product. We'll just have to see what it looks like when I start grinding.

And for those who are thinking jumbo wieners ????? You don't have to stuff wieners into sheep casings. I like big wieners. (Uh oh
icon_redface.gif
) Not those kind either, people.
biggrin.gif

Hopefully the weather will cooperate a little bit too. We are supposed to get another 2-5 inches of snow today. I already got 10" on my smokehouse now.

icon_eek.gif

I'll post plenty of pics as I am progressing.

Later

Sonny, temps vary, depending on what you're making. I don't have my smoke schedule sheets with today. Sometimes they find their way into my lunch bag. I'll get back to you tonight on that. Maybe somebody else has access to their house temps.

Show us some pics bombo. I can't wait.

Sonny, temps and time vary with what you are smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky