TIME FOR PICKLED ASPARAGUS

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef willie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 31, 2010
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Spring brings asparagus and I wait till the markets run the 'special' lead in price to score some. Most stores around here are still at about $3 a pound so was happy to find some at $1.68 a pound for Easter meals. Love the pickled spears in Bloody Mary's or just outta the jar as a snack with a sandwich. The spears were long so were cut to fit the pint jars and then I pickled up the spear pieces so as not to waste anything. I like mine SPICY so used a peppercorn medley plus 2-3 dried red peppers in each, mustard seed and celery seed and, of course, garlic.

4#'s asparagus

4 cups cider vinegar

1 cup water

1/4 cup of salt. I use pickling salt

2 Tbl sugar

Garlic cloves, celery seed, mustard seed, peppercorns

Heat wet ingredients to dissolve salt & sugar. Cut asparagus to fit jars with about 1" of space at the top left. I used a tsp of celery, mustard and peppercorns in each jar plus 2-3 red peppers in each jar and 1-2 toes of garlic in each jar. Adjust each ingredient to your own taste. Fill jars with juice, water bath for 15 minutes. I had to make more juice for the spears, the amount listed is good for about 4 pints.

Never had them but being my fav Veg I may be trying it....JJ

Thanks for posting this recipe! We love pickled asparagus ! I 'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a good deal. Cheapest here so far has been $2.98# We get a bunch from our garden but usually eat that fresh!

Thx all....yeah, used to be 99 cents a pound at the height of production in the past. Are those days gone?? Bloody Mary in a tall rocks glass, celery, jumbo olives and a spear of pickled asparagus....heaven

Thx all....yeah, used to be 99 cents a pound at the height of production in the past. Are those days gone?? Bloody Mary in a tall rocks glass, celery, jumbo olives and a spear of pickled asparagus....heaven
The best Bloody Mary I ever had came with pickled asparagus, blue cheese-stuffed olives, and a strip of beef jerky rubber-banded to the side.  A meal in a glass!

As I usually cut more than I can eat fresh, this would give me something to do with some of it. Have @ 20 ft of 16yr old crowns. I get plenty of asparagus. just have to wait for it to warm up enough for it to come up. What variety of peppers do you put in them? And have you ever done them in Dill? Wonder if they would work in a cold pack recipe?
Once again This place has come up with something new (to me) and interesting! :sausage:

As I usually cut more than I can eat fresh, this would give me something to do with some of it. Have @ 20 ft of 16yr old crowns. I get plenty of asparagus. just have to wait for it to warm up enough for it to come up. What variety of peppers do you put in them? And have you ever done them in Dill? Wonder if they would work in a cold pack recipe?
Once again This place has come up with something new (to me) and interesting!
sausage.gif
Wow....nice row of asparagus. I've never stayed in one spot long enuf to do that. The chilies this time were the Japones Entero, Japanese chili pods available in most Hispanic sections of the store. Also have used the Chili Arbols, another hot small dried chili. I don't think the addition of dill would hurt anything. The original recipe I have states 'the BW method is necessary to tenderize these cold-pack pickles'.

Once again This place has come up with something new (to me) and interesting!
sausage.gif
I perused my grandmother's cook book, all hand written and found this in her pickling section:

Enough asparagus to pack a quart jar
Cup of white vinegar
Cup of water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pickle salt
cloves
garlic
dill
spicy peppers

Pack jar pour warm liquid over put in chiller asap, ready two weeks.

I forgot to add that it mentioned to adjust the liquid amount to if needed for full coverage.  I suppose one could substitute salt type too (kosher).

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys! Sorry I havent got back sooner ,it's been a hectic week!
Chef Willie, I'm either very tired (which I am, been up since 3am) or am I missing something? Why would I need to tenderize fresh asparagus? Or are we talking about the base of the stock on larger pieces that can be woody?

Gonna bump this.My Safeway has asparagus $.99 per pound. Picked up 6 pounds and am gonna make a batch today or tomorrow!
Thanks for bumping this thread, Case!  Getting close to asparagus season, and I'd hate to let it get away without canning some this year.

BTW, how is your asparagus crop looking this year?  Did the big snowfall trash it, or do you expect a crop?

Have a great week!

Clarissa

Hey Clarissa, get thee to a Safeway, sale
Here lasts until the 11th!

The crop has been coming back for close to 30 years now... As long as you let asparagus go to seed it will come back every year once it's established. At least where we live it does. Does take two years though to get established. So plant and then wait...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky