When we first built our home we didn't know much about gardening, so we planted just about anything in our side garden. Over the years, our indiscretion caught up with us. It was truly getting unruly and IMO unsightly. Also, we were experiencing a good amount of settling at the foundation. So, this Spring we went too work. Here's what it looked like a year of two ago. Not bad, however, far from good. So, we tore it all out. Gave away what we could, composted the rest. We had 12yds of dirt brought in and built a retaining wall and planted more plants that wouldn't take over like lambs ears, wild roses, etc. This is what we ended up with. Obviously the plants are small and will be for a couple of years, but they'll grow. The yard took a pretty good hit when the guy spread the dirt around, but it'll grow back. I have to give Amy (my Wife) a lot of the credit however. I went and got the bricks on a Thursday we laid out the basic shape of the garden and I started the wall. I strung out lines so it would be somewhat level. She is off on Fridays, so when I got home from work that Friday, she had all but 13 bricks laid and nearly all the dirt moved. Hell of an accomplishment. I also need to get some updated pictures as things are growing quite nicely.