• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Time For A Steak: Blackened Porterhouse (W / Pics)

tx smoker

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Apr 14, 2013
Been doing a lot of different types of meals recently and decided it was time for a good ol' steak. Got a 1 1/2 pound Porterhouse out of the freezer and set about putting together some other things as it was defrosting.

When I make bacon I run the "scraps" through the food processor and chop them into crumbles. They are vac sealed and frozen then when we need bacon bits I fry up a couple pounds, drain, and put in the fridge so we have bacon bits.
001_Fotogenic.jpg

Our friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) has been doing some interesting stuff with taters recently so thought I'd mix things up a bit. Homemade garlic mashed taters with diced jalapeno, bacon bits, and cheddar cheese. Kind of mess in the bowl though.
003_Fotogenic.jpg

Mix it all up and into a CI skillet then more cheese on top with some GBP
004_Fotogenic.jpg

The steak. 1 pound 8 ounce Porterhouse
005_Fotogenic.jpg

A nice dose of my recently created dirt rub
006_Fotogenic.jpg

Mashed tater casserole on the grill
007_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak on the grill over the sear burner. Medium heat so running about 800 degrees
009_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak all done. Got a nice char on it
011_Fotogenic.jpg

Taters all done. Man I like the way these look.
012_Fotogenic.jpg

Steak and taters plated with a basic salad
014_Fotogenic.jpg

Money shot
015_Fotogenic.jpg

Recently I've done Mexican, Italian, German, smoked brisket, and it was time to get back to basics. Hard to beat a big ol steak and some taters. We loved the steak but that mashed potato casserole was to die for. Absolutely outstanding and the star of the show. I say that only because we are accustomed to the steaks but this was a whole new approach to doing potatoes and we both loved it. Not gonna be the last time I do it this way, that's for sure. Actually we are looking forward to having friends over and sharing this with them. All in all another quick but gratifying meal. I'll take those almost any day.

Well y'all take care, stay safe, and be well. I have no clue what may be up my sleeve for the next few days but hopefully I can come up with something interesting.

Robert

SmokinVOLfan

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 27, 2018
Oh hell yeah Robert that is an absolutely beautiful steak man! Perfect char and nice pink center. I mean hard to beat that. And the tater casserole looks delicious! You nailed that meal my friend!

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Man I'm with you on time to have a steak . I'm way over due .
Great looking meal . I like that bacon trick .

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Fantastic looking Steak, Robert !!
I love the whole plate too!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

Brokenhandle

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 9, 2019
You nailed it again! Love them taters for sure! Steak looks perfect as well!

Ryan

DRKsmoking

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
Robert nice to mention me .
But its all you my friend , that is a great looking cast iron pan of goodness.

And of coarse the steak. Nothing else to say , but we all know you enjoyed that plate of fine food

David

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Daaamnnn! Fantastic meal bud! I love how that steak came out. And those taters are amazing.

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Holy Moly that looks good. Perfectly cooked steak and 'to die for' taters!
Love the way you present your cooks, Robert.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 3, 2015
Crushed it! That looked insane! Everything was perfect, but you got me excited to make an attempt at those potatoes. Thank you for sharing!

BrianGSDTexoma

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 1, 2018
Nice steak but those taters are off the chart! Going to have to work those in. HBTW

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Hell Yeah! Great meal! Beautiful steak and the tators look fantabulous! Dirt rub eh? You post that recipe somewhere? I must have missed it. Looks interesting...

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Nailed the med/rare on that steak. I love the CI Cheesy Taters! I just happen to have a pack of some totally awesome Texas Bacon a friend sent.😉...JJ

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Hell Yeah! Great meal! Beautiful steak and the tators look fantabulous! Dirt rub eh? You post that recipe somewhere? I must have missed it. Looks interesting...
Here you go...JJ

Steve H

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
Here you go...JJ

Yup, that's good stuff. But, I believe Robert, being the mad scientist that he is, created his own after using Nat the cat. I use Nat on steaks and burgers. Adds a great flavor.

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
Robert, that steak looks phenomenal, cooked perfectly for our tastes. And those potatoes, what's not to love about those??

Charles

xray

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Mar 11, 2015
Great crust and pink throughout! Pass me a plate Robert, those potatoes look killer too!

smokerjim

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
That meal looks fantastic Robert, ya keep out doing yourself

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Ain’t nothing wrong with that plate! I love steak and potatoes. Your twist on it is as usual excellent.
Jim

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.