Two Recipes for Homemade Green Chile Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Green Chile Sauce
These are two fairly traditional New Mexico style green chile sauces that can be made as thin or thick as you like.
Made with Hatch/Anaheim green chiles, and depending on the variety can be mild or hot.
In a pinch it can be made with anything from any type of green colored chile peppers, from the lowly Bell Pepper, Cubanelles, Jalapenos or Pablanos.
Great as a sauce on almost anything or a great base for New Mexico Green Chile, just add meat.

First up will be an easy recipe using canned ingredients and then a bit more labor intensive using all fresh ingredients

459671-9da63d25f7ad98841a16a7117cc1529e.jpg

Canned
2 27oz cans of diced or chopped green chiles
2 7oz cans of Salsa verde
1-1/2c chicken broth
2T bacon grease or other oil
2T flour
2t granulated garlic
1t ground Mexican oregano
1/2t ground cumin
salt
Prepare roux with oil and flour.
Everything but the salt into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for about half an hour.
Add roux as thickener as needed.
Salt to taste.

Fresh Roasted Green Chile Sauce
2lbs fresh green chiles, roasted, skinned and seeded, diced or chopped
4-6 fresh tomatillos, roasted and minced
1 large white onion, halved, roasted and minced
2c pork or chicken broth
2T flour
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
(pull the leaves and small stems off the large stems, discard large stems)
2T garlic, minced
2t ground Mexican oregano
1t ground cumin
salt
Combine the prepared chiles, tomatillos, onions, garlic and cilantro all together in a large sauce pan.
Add chicken broth and seasonings except the salt, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.
Salt to taste.

Last edited:
Good stuff! My recipe is similar.
And, folks...Don't be afraid to use Canned Green Chiles. Top quality Canned Chiles and even Tomatoes, are packed at their peak flavor or ripeness. Read the Label. I look for 100% single ingredient Canned items. If they contain Salt or Citric Acid, you can rinse the Chiles or adjust your recipe. A bit of Sugar will balance acidity...JJ

Reactions: chilerelleno
Looks dd
Green Chile Sauce
These are two fairly traditional New Mexico style green chile sauces that can be made as thin or thick as you like.
Made with Hatch/Anaheim green chiles, and depending on the variety can be mild or hot.
In a pinch it can be made with anything from any type of green colored chile peppers, from the lowly Bell Pepper, Cubanelles, Jalapenos or Pablanos.
Great as a sauce on almost anything or a great base for New Mexico Green Chile, just add meat.

First up will be an easy recipe using canned ingredients and then a bit more labor intensive using all fresh ingredients

View attachment 470655

Canned
1-1/2c chicken broth
2T flour
2t granulated garlic
1/2t ground cumin
salt
Everything but the salt into a sauce pan, bring to a boil and simmer for about half an hour.
Salt to taste.

2c pork or chicken broth
2T flour
2T garlic, minced
1t ground cumin
salt
Combine the prepared chiles, tomatillos, onions, garlic and cilantro all together in a large sauce pan.
Add chicken broth and seasonings except the salt, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about half an hour.
Salt to taste.
Looks fairly similar to mine but I add cream of mushroom soup and I never use tomatillos for anything as I don't like them and think they overpower the awesome taste of the chile's. LOL

Green Chile Sauce

View attachment 470655

Canned
1-1/2c chicken broth
2T flour
2t granulated garlic
1/2t ground cumin
salt
Salt to taste.

2c pork or chicken broth
2T flour
2T garlic, minced
1t ground cumin
salt
Salt to taste.
Thanks for pointing me here!

Do you have any changes or suggestions for making these sauces and canning them?

My thought is omitting flour and oil for canning reasons and then maybe do some tweaking as needed from there but no sure so asking the expert (you) lol :D

FYI, I can pressure can if needed so there is no question that it got hot enough to be canned. Just need some rough pressure canning and maybe some PH guidelines to ensure the job gets done right :D

Thanks for pointing me here!

Do you have any changes or suggestions for making these sauces and canning them?

My thought is omitting flour and oil for canning reasons and then maybe do some tweaking as needed from there but no sure so asking the expert (you) lol :D

FYI, I can pressure can if needed so there is no question that it got hot enough to be canned. Just need some rough pressure canning and maybe some PH guidelines to ensure the job gets done right :D
Canning? No I don't, I've little experience with canning and suitable recipes.

Canning? No I don't, I've little experience with canning and suitable recipes.
No problem.

I did a little bit of looking up on formal canning recipes, times, temps, etc. and I'm pretty sure I can use one of those approaches for similar materials. Like basically pick the longest pole in the tent. For example if the peppers are the thing that takes the longest to can in the individual recipes I'm finding then I would follow that and add a little more time to it just to be sure.

There is no meat or any odd stuff in these recipes. Mostly just peppers, tomatillos, onion, garlic etc. so all of that has easy and comparable pressure canning times.

Thanks for the info! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky