• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thoughts on doing the mixing a day after grinding?

georgeabshire

Joined Jun 20, 2020
So, I'm planning on doing 150 lbs over course of two days, 100 of a chicken recipe and 50 of pork. Cutting takes as long as it takes, and it will be a slog to get through all that, but it is what it is. I can probably fit in grinding into the first day, and then come back the next day and do all my mixing, stuffing and packaging for the freezer, but I'm slightly concerned that the bind may not take as well or as firmly if I grind and let it sit for 14 hrs or so.

This may sound like a silly question, but can anyone chime in and let me know if you've seen any difference in the final product when you grind and let it sit overnight vs. breaking the meat down and doing the grind/mix/stuffing all in one day? I've learned not to mix in the salt/spices and then stuff the next day after the bind sets up, but this is different.

Thanks.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
What kind of sausage are you making? fresh or smoked?

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
I've learned not to mix in the salt/spices and then stuff the next day after the bind sets up, but this is different.
I don't do large batches like that , but I always do it over a couple days . I'll mix the spice and cure ( if needed ) then fridge overnight . I add the water and binder ( if using ) on the day I stuff .

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
can't comment on chicken never did it but i don't see why you couldn't, ground chicken will sit on the store shelves for 3 or 5 days with no problems. but pork you'll be fine grinding the day before, if you season it the day you grind it and it's stiff the next day when going to stuff just add some water to loosen it up

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Just wanted to add this . Watch the temp of the meat paste , especially the chicken . Might not cool down enough if held in a large batch .

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Good info. WOW. 150Lbs?! I typically do 2lbs... On the same point that Rich made, around here most guys process outside in cold temps when doing large batches like that.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Good tip chop....

I have taken gallon milk jugs filled with water and froze them. then when mixing large batches of grind, I put the frozen jugs in the meat tubs to chill the core of the tub fast when in refrigerator.

indaswamp

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Good info. WOW. 150Lbs?! I typically do 2lbs... On the same point that Rich made, around here most guys process outside in cold temps when doing large batches like that.
Yep. That's why I try to schedule our big processing day 3rd week in February. But even that does not guarantee cold weather in the deep south. Thus the milk jugs. I am excited to report that the building we use to process now has a commercial freezer....

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.