This weeks attempt - Garlic Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
Rainy Saturday = Sausage making. Since I am still new at this, each attempt is an experiment. This time was garlic sausage - with one cup of grated permesan added (to 5 lbs of pork butt). The test patties were outstanding. Apple smoked. Just pulled them out of the smoker and shot them into the freezer to stop them from cooking. They have been cut and shrink-wrapped and are mellowing in the fridge for a day. Here are the results:

IMG_6751.jpg

IMG_6752.jpg

IMG_6753.jpg

Looks great uncle eddie. Some of the guys on here put them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Seems that would be a faster way. Just my $.02.

Warren

Looks great uncle eddie. Some of the guys on here put them in an ice water bath to stop the cooking. Seems that would be a faster way. Just my $.02.
Warren

I am aware of the ice water bath - but - Our upright (garage) fridge/freezer has a pretty good fan in the freezer. I make sure it is blowing when I put the sausage in the freezer...takes about 5 minutes to get cooled off and does not diminish the smoke flavor.

Oh those look nice!
What are the casings?

The casings are edible collagen

Good looking sausage! Let us know how the flavor turned out after it 'resting' for a bit in the fridge.

Good looking sausage! Let us know how the flavor turned out after it 'resting' for a bit in the fridge.

WI Smoker77 WI Smoker77 - after the rest in the fridge, it was really spicy, but still very good. I think I can halve the garlic cloves and the red pepper flakes next go-around and be about right...the parmesan and thyme was spot on in my opinion.

Reactions: WI Smoker77
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky