This may not belong on the forum but......

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pignit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Ok... lets say you have spent the last 6 days either prepping meat and appetizers, smoking meat and appetizers.... serving your cooked stuff... cleaning up the mess you made smoking all this stuff... and your basking in the warm feeling you get when you know everyone is well fed, and in awe of your smoking/cooking abilities. Then you realize you have a 2 pack of tenderloins that have been thawed out in the fridge and they need to be cooked tonight. And..... you haven't eaten yet. Here is my solution.

I washed and sliced my two tenderloins that I caught on sale at Kroger for 1.99 a pound and bought 15 of em and put them in the freezer. Fried them up in a pan with EVO, lemon pepper, tones citrius grill, and some garlic and onion powder. You don't want to cook these things to death. Just get them to brown an little.

2952_1088037794944_1046423994_30226333_130657_n.jpg

I take them out of the pan and put in some bacon grease. The secret to my velveteee smoooooth gravy is to let the pan cool down with the grease in it before you add the flour. It needs to stay hot but you just don't want it to sizzle any. After you add the flour turn your heat back up to a medium and cook your flour until it starts turning just a tad brown. If you don't your gravy will taste like flour. Make sure and scrape all those great cruncheeez and spices off of the bottom.

2952_1088037834945_1046423994_30226334_1631581_n.jpg

Another secret to makin good gravy.... let the rue cool down before you put the milk in. If you add it while it's hot it will turn into a big clod that really isn't all that good. After you add a cup or so of milk and get everything stirred in really nice and smooooooth.... turn the heat up to a medium or a tad hotter. Keep stirring your gravy and if it's starting to get thick add more milk. The trick is to get it to the thickness you want about the time its starts to bubble. If it's too thin when you get it to bubblin you'll need to let it cook down some... if it's too thick... add a tad more milk to get it where you want it. Good gravy is like good ribs... takes a bit of time.

2952_1088037874946_1046423994_30226335_209357_n.jpg

The rest is really easy.... just lay your tenderloin back in the pan with the gravy......

2952_1088037914947_1046423994_30226336_1293988_n.jpg

Stir it up and let it simmer just a tad.... it's actually ready to eat.

2952_1088037954948_1046423994_30226337_2743156_n.jpg

I layed a couple of pieces on some New York Pumpernickel. This stuff is shweeeeet! Gonna take the leftover and vacuum it for the freezer for a date with some homemade biscuits and hashbrowns.

2952_1088037994949_1046423994_30226338_2865901_n.jpg

I've done this a number of times and it always comes out great. Thanks for lookin!

Mmmmm...That looks delicious! If only I had a pork tenderloin right now I would make that this. Any time I add something to the to-do list I have to give points, this looks so tasty I wish I could give double...

Some times when I do different sauces I usually warm the milk and then add a little to the roux at first and then after it is a good paste just pour the rest in.
A lot of restaurants make a roux and store it covered (some refrigerated some not, but I always do) and use as needed to thicken.
Not really worth it unless you make a lot of thickened cream sauces but thought some may find it useful.

Thanks for a tasty recipe, smoked or not.

Now just throw some country fried potatoes alongside that and make one heluva breakfast! Good looking pork. Thanks for the tips on making gravy.

use deer backstrap for this and youve got a staple food i was raised up on. powerful good.

Very nice PiginIt. I think the biggest mistake people make when making gravy is to not cook the roux a little bit at first, and then it is just tastes like flour. Good tips and excellent meal.

Yep.... that and trying to cook it too hot. If you put that flour in with your grease too hot it will lump and fry little hard flakes.... and if you put your milk in too hot it will clump and lump. Another thing to remember is if you happen to have a gallon of milk that has gone sour.... don't throw it out..... it makes fine gravy.

I always get that lump when I add the milk, you just have to stir it well with a whisk or fork to get the lumps broken up, that and add enough milk right off or there's nothing to break the lumps into. that said, I'm going to try your method of lowering the heat next time.

cool! Ive always wonderd how to make gravy, awesome! looks good! gimme some with some biscuits to dunk in it
points.gif

Nice job Pig, I would love a platter of that. I would give ya points, but why?
PDT_Armataz_01_08.gif

Any ways, a big high five for sharin the recipe and the great pics.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Agreed! Smoked or not, this is a fine recipe and I think it DOES belong in here! In fact, you could bacon wrap tenderloins, smoke them WITH A DRIP PAN - and then use the bacon plus the drippings to make a similar gravy and you are off to the races! I say similar so as not to take away from the fine recipe Dave just posted...who knows how it would turn out when incorporating some smoke, but either way - I think that looks yum. Points for the good looking eats and the gravy tutorial.
points.gif

Great advice on the gravy-making. Taking your time and browning the flour roux takes time, and is one reason that many folks have issues with cajun cooking - a nice brown roux takes a long time and a lot of attention.

Great post !!!! Frying sliced pork tenderloins in S and P and a bit of butter several times set up my wife who ,quote " I've tried venison before and just don't like the taste of it " Had no recourse but to admit she did in fact like the taste after she finished off her second serving .
Great tips on the gravy , still practicing the "Blond roux " but getting better at it . It is an art.
Will be trying this combo soon !!!!
Worthless or not , points sent.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky