• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

This Little Piggy!

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
That’s a super nice racer. Looking forward to the final cut/pull.

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Very nice looking Porker! The skin looks like it would be crispy...JJ

GonnaSmoke

Master of the Pit
Joined Sep 19, 2018
That sure does look good and is something I've been wanting to do. What size pig and about how long did it take? I can get a pig, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to allow for.

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
man those beans! And the full pig just sent it over the moon. Looks darn good.

Jim

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Awesome job there Dutch. Don't have the means to do a whole pig but can sure do those wicked beans.

Warren

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
That sure does look good and is something I've been wanting to do. What size pig and about how long did it take? I can get a pig, but I'm just trying to get an idea of what to allow for.
This was a 32 lb. porker. I ran the smoker between 250° & 275°. It cooked faster than I expected-I planned for 6 hours and it was done in 4 1/2 hours. I banked the fire and added small splits to keep the smoker temp at 160°.
Fed a group of 20 and still ended up with about 1/3 of the pig left. Those that wanted it had pork to take home.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
That’s a super nice racer. Looking forward to the final cut/pull.
Well, about that, I was so busy pulling and serving I forgot to grab a picture. Hopefully one of my kids may have grab a picture or two. If they did, I'll add it to this post.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Awesome cook there Dutch!
That’s something I have been wanting to do, and it’s in my ToDo list.
I think I can fit a 20-25 lb. pig in my Lang 36. I may have to do some trimming to get it to fit, but really want to try it. I’m thinking this winter would be the time for me. What was the overall length & width of the pig you did? Cause it looks like it would fit in my baby Lang!
Al

browneyesvictim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Aug 16, 2016
Wow! That looks amazing Dutch! Talk about going "whole hog"!
Was there an injection or seasoning of any kind or just smoke and pig?

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Awesome cook there Dutch!
That’s something I have been wanting to do, and it’s in my ToDo list.
I think I can fit a 20-25 lb. pig in my Lang 36. I may have to do some trimming to get it to fit, but really want to try it. I’m thinking this winter would be the time for me. What was the overall length & width of the pig you did? Cause it looks like it would fit in my baby Lang!
Al
Al, this pig was about 30 inched long and about 7 inches wide. I cut through the back bone, the aitch bone and the brisket bone. I then pressed the pig flat so I could have easy access while I injected the pig. I sprinkled Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub in the body cavity.

Dutch

Smoking Guru
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Jul 7, 2005
Wow! That looks amazing Dutch! Talk about going "whole hog"!
Was there an injection or seasoning of any kind or just smoke and pig?
My injection was 4 cups apple juice, 2 cups apple cider vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub. I could have easily cut this recipe in half and still have plenty injection for this 32 lb pig.
I put 1 cup of apple juice in a saucepan along with the Rib Rub. I brought the juice to a low boil to dissolve the rub. I then strained the liquid through a mesh strainer to remove the solids that didn't dissolve. I then added this liquid to the remaining apple juice and vinegar and let it cool to room temperature.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Al, this pig was about 30 inched long and about 7 inches wide. I cut through the back bone, the aitch bone and the brisket bone. I then pressed the pig flat so I could have easy access while I injected the pig. I sprinkled Tulsa Jeff's Naked Rib Rub in the body cavity.
Thanks Dutch, I think that would fit in my 36.
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
Thanks for the like Dutch it is appreciated.

Warren

chef jimmyj

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
32 pounds gives about 12 pounds of pulled pork. 20 guests and 1/3 left? Sounds like plenty of other good food at that Party. I know I can make a meal out of those Wicked Beans alone! Very nice...JJ

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.