Thinking of building a UDS but have questions

Discussion in 'UDS Builds' started by stl-rich, Jul 10, 2010.

1. stl-rich

stl-rich Fire Starter

I have seen a bunch of UDS builds but most of them aren't UDSs but Pd's - DARN pretty.  After use does the hi-temp paint hold up?  Wifey would NOT be pleased if I put an UGLY smoker where it could be seen from our gazebo.  But a nice black barrel with orange flames would probably be acceptable.

Second Q - Anyone know where to get a food grade barrel without a liner in St Louis??

2. duck killer 1

duck killer 1 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

if ya want one shoot me a PM. i have 3 i'm willing to give ya 1 or 2 for free. i live about 1-1/2 hours from ya down I-44

3. tom37

tom37 Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

My drum has regular old paint on it and so far its holding up fine. I have not had mine to temp to finish chicken yet either. So its hard to say for sure at this point if the regular paint will last.

I would bet a dollar or two that the high temp stuff would last plenty long.

4. stl-rich

stl-rich Fire Starter

N'other Q - ya put a nipple on the bottom and then a ball vavle.  Fat guys like me don't much care for bending over - I've seen a "fat belly mod" that left the valve on the bottom with no elbow to inhibit air flow, but it had a lenght of "all-thread" between the ball valve & the valve handle.  I'de love to see some detail on that.

5. tom37

Now that sounds like a workable mod. The main reason I used the elbow on mine was so I didn't have anything sticking out away from the side of the barrel any farther then nessessary. But the mod that stl-rich speaks of would make it so that the valve could be even closer to the side of the drum. I think I will try this on the next one.

6. daddyzaring

daddyzaring Smoking Fanatic

I got a question for you Tom,  What is the purpose of the one pipe you have coming up the side of your UDS?  I have seen some builds with this and some without.

I almost bought a couple food grade drums, there's a guy over here by the Legends who has five of them, he wants $10 each for.  If I didn't already have a bunch of stuff that really needs done first I would have got two so I could build My Dad, and I one.

Here's what I am asking about.

[​IMG]

7. duck killer 1

that's where he adds the rocket fuel... joking.

8. duck killer 1

seriously.. that's so he don't have to bend over... wouldn't want him to strain himself adjusting the air intake on his UDS!  [​IMG]

9. daddyzaring

I know it's an intake (I think I know lol), but I am wondering what the purpose is having it come up like that rather than just short and straight out like the others?

I am pretty sure rocket fuel would burn just a little too hot for smoking. lol :p

10. duck killer 1

it's just for ease of adjustment. keeps ya from having to bend over to adjust.

11. duck killer 1

i will tell ya tom, it would prolly work better without the plug in the valve opening tho!    [​IMG]

12. daddyzaring

LOL, I think he just puts that in there to keep the rain out when he's not using it, That is mostly a guess though.

13. pandemonium

pandemonium Master of the Pit

yes i remember reading  that buils and he said that was indeed to keep rain out when not using

14. duck killer 1

HAHAHA  [​IMG]

15. tom37

Actually when my temps drop on a cold winters night I add a little Everclear and then pipe my 80 gallon compressor to the ball valve and make my own draft. I'm here to tell ya, the temps come up really fast too.

See the green circle? This is an old air fitting (female side) and I have so so many people ask me if thats to hook my air compressor up to make it draft better.

And all I can say is yup thats exactly what it is, how did you know?

[​IMG]

All joking aside.

At times I am a little on the lazy side, besides that when I pinch my belly on my belt buckle it really hurts.

BTW duck........ the darn this don't draft worth a hoot when I forget to take the plug out.

16. duck killer 1

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

that's one way to do it![​IMG]

17. pandemonium

Tom is that kc chiefs smoker yours? what the heck man have you been holding out on us? seems like i remember seeing a pic of that before? any more toys or pics you not showing us?

18. tom37

Yes pan its mine LOL.   UMMMM you didn't see it in my sig pics did ya LMAO.....

Here is the rig we take to comps. As it evolved.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The outside is painted black now. Slow but sure its getting there.

19. pandemonium

so your not the chiefs fan? thats the way you bought it? thats a hell of a set up nice! in sig pics? where? sorry i am a little slow... oh you mean the clickable link in your sig, now i see it i dont read all that jibber jabber of what people own hah ok now i saw all the pics, very cool man nice work there.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  20. meateater

meateater Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Here's some great paint jobs to give ya an idea. You could always camo it to blend in.....What Smoker!!  [​IMG]

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89986&highlight=uds+paint+jobs