Thinking of building a UDS but have questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

stl-rich

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
I have seen a bunch of UDS builds but most of them aren't UDSs but Pd's - DARN pretty.  After use does the hi-temp paint hold up?  Wifey would NOT be pleased if I put an UGLY smoker where it could be seen from our gazebo.  But a nice black barrel with orange flames would probably be acceptable.

Second Q - Anyone know where to get a food grade barrel without a liner in St Louis??

if ya want one shoot me a PM. i have 3 i'm willing to give ya 1 or 2 for free. i live about 1-1/2 hours from ya down I-44

My drum has regular old paint on it and so far its holding up fine. I have not had mine to temp to finish chicken yet either. So its hard to say for sure at this point if the regular paint will last.

I would bet a dollar or two that the high temp stuff would last plenty long.

N'other Q - ya put a nipple on the bottom and then a ball vavle.  Fat guys like me don't much care for bending over - I've seen a "fat belly mod" that left the valve on the bottom with no elbow to inhibit air flow, but it had a lenght of "all-thread" between the ball valve & the valve handle.  I'de love to see some detail on that.

Now that sounds like a workable mod. The main reason I used the elbow on mine was so I didn't have anything sticking out away from the side of the barrel any farther then nessessary. But the mod that stl-rich speaks of would make it so that the valve could be even closer to the side of the drum. I think I will try this on the next one.

I got a question for you Tom,  What is the purpose of the one pipe you have coming up the side of your UDS?  I have seen some builds with this and some without.

I almost bought a couple food grade drums, there's a guy over here by the Legends who has five of them, he wants $10 each for.  If I didn't already have a bunch of stuff that really needs done first I would have got two so I could build My Dad, and I one.

Here's what I am asking about.

aa573155_Toms%20UDS2.jpg

seriously.. that's so he don't have to bend over... wouldn't want him to strain himself adjusting the air intake on his UDS! 
biggrin.gif

I know it's an intake (I think I know lol), but I am wondering what the purpose is having it come up like that rather than just short and straight out like the others?

I am pretty sure rocket fuel would burn just a little too hot for smoking. lol :P

that's where he adds the rocket fuel... joking.

Actually when my temps drop on a cold winters night I add a little Everclear and then pipe my 80 gallon compressor to the ball valve and make my own draft. I'm here to tell ya, the temps come up really fast too.

See the green circle? This is an old air fitting (female side) and I have so so many people ask me if thats to hook my air compressor up to make it draft better.

And all I can say is yup thats exactly what it is, how did you know?

8d101deb_Photo068%20crp.jpg

All joking aside.

At times I am a little on the lazy side, besides that when I pinch my belly on my belt buckle it really hurts.

BTW duck........ the darn this don't draft worth a hoot when I forget to take the plug out.

Tom is that kc chiefs smoker yours? what the heck man have you been holding out on us? seems like i remember seeing a pic of that before? any more toys or pics you not showing us?

Yes pan its mine LOL.   UMMMM you didn't see it in my sig pics did ya LMAO.....

Here is the rig we take to comps. As it evolved.

6b2505a0_comp%20rig%2001.jpg

efc28fe9_comp%20rig%2002.jpg

2eceeb88_comp%20rig%2003.jpg

63342dee_comp%20rig%2004.jpg

The outside is painted black now. Slow but sure its getting there.

so your not the chiefs fan? thats the way you bought it? thats a hell of a set up nice! in sig pics? where? sorry i am a little slow... oh you mean the clickable link in your sig, now i see it i dont read all that jibber jabber of what people own hah ok now i saw all the pics, very cool man nice work there.

Last edited:
I have seen a bunch of UDS builds but most of them aren't UDSs but Pd's - DARN pretty.  After use does the hi-temp paint hold up?  Wifey would NOT be pleased if I put an UGLY smoker where it could be seen from our gazebo.  But a nice black barrel with orange flames would probably be acceptable.

Second Q - Anyone know where to get a food grade barrel without a liner in St Louis??
Here's some great paint jobs to give ya an idea. You could always camo it to blend in.....What Smoker!! 
icon_cool.gif

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89986&highlight=uds+paint+jobs

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky