Thinking About Full Time RVing?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Think before you do.

We been for 8 years now. At times we like it but its the repair times we have not. The 5th wheel is only 3 years old.
We have replaced 2 AC units, 7 awning motors, 2 furnace boards, middle slide out floor replacement and now the large slide floor replacement.

This is the PITA part.
This floor is costing $2655. 50

Pics of floor being taken out because of water damage.
Both corners have damage. This slide is 14'
IMG_0703.JPG

IMG_4361.JPG

IMG_7105.JPG

BBL

Travel nursed for almost 3 yrs in a 5th wheel. Back and forth across the country twice. Thankfully never had any major problems.
Jim

I believe I would be selling that bad boy and finding a nice condo to retire in! Maybe a small house with not much yard maintenance and plenty of room for your smokers and grills!

Man that sucks big time! I know my wife really wants to do it, she is a roamer by heart, but I just can't seem to find an RV that has an attached shop.......Would need to have a triple trailer and that kinda defeats the purpose....

• Haha
Reactions: jaxgatorz
We are going to look at one of the new park models that are coming in in Feb.

Think before you do.

We been for 8 years now. At times we like it but its the repair times we have not. The 5th wheel is only 3 years old.
We have replaced 2 AC units, 7 awning motors, 2 furnace boards, middle slide out floor replacement and now the large slide floor replacement.

This is the PITA part.
This floor is costing $2655. 50

Pics of floor being taken out because of water damage.
Both corners have damage. This slide is 14'
View attachment 476472

View attachment 476473

View attachment 476474

BBL
That is brutal sorry to hear that if you don't mind, which brand is your trailer?

Could I ask who built your rig? One of the advantages of mass production is that issues like water damage (or I should say the causes for it) have been worked out. At least I thought that was a major selling point of pre-fab homes as opposed to tract homes where a little customization has to happen in each one, that can lead to problems like this.

Last edited:
Park models are fixed fast and secured to the concrete. no hitches or tires showing as they remove all that.

Our 5th wheel is a forest river POJ. Coachmen.

The new floor is in. 2 pieces of 3/8" cabinet grade ply laminated together and the exterior is rino liner sprayed. they are laying the water resistant flooring down now and doing some trim work.

IMG_3771.JPG

wow we have had rv's since '86. first one was a 32' swinger '79 dodge, man we drove the heck out of it to canada n back pulled the old boat. we had used sportsman and laradoe 5ver's 32' ter's. took a break in 2009 when kids moved onl. the n in '12 got a 1997 40' london air deisel pusher, in 2016 traded for current '07 Alfa gold 40' deisel pusher.. normal maintenance but in all that time we never had bad luck only couple water heaters.. we i did drive the Alfa with awning out n that cost $500 deductible cost insurance 10G. awning was 22' electric. we never even considered certain brands as we camped every weekend n seen others..

We dont camp.
We are stationary in a resort.

We did have a 40' motorhome we did drive around for while but that was not our thing.

oh we will be selling house next year and full time.. i pull my 2011 avalanche. my brother's land in AZ has 3 fulltime hookup's, for a month or so in winter. the last month long trip was NC then charlotte race infeild in the HD big screen spots. wow.. in those mnt's it's nice to have the 400 hp ISL with 2 stage Jake.. oh IFS front suspension n the only pusher with 7'6" ceilings no head bumps in full wall slide out.. and less expensive than others. we do boondock often but have 8 batteries. 2 chassis 6 house

Last edited:
I was a truck driver so i had enuff pulling :emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_astonished:

Reactions: bill1
Park models are fixed fast and secured to the concrete. no hitches or tires showing as they remove all that.

Our 5th wheel is a forest river POJ. Coachmen.

The new floor is in. 2 pieces of 3/8" cabinet grade ply laminated together and the exterior is rino liner sprayed. they are laying the water resistant flooring down now and doing some trim work.

View attachment 476526
We had an older slide in truck camper that the bottom part was all leaky so after fixing all the rot it got rino lined all around. I can say that was awesome! no more issues at all. We currently have a trailer with a slider and I had to fix the gaskets around the bottom of the slide because water was wanting to travel in the unit via the top part of the sliding rail....errr. A little silicon on the rails and no more water travel....

Yes, the mass produced outfits are put together with very little care. Out in the elements is hard on everything, the caulking(weather stripping) is a big one. If not maintained regularly, it will eventually leak. Not saying that you weren't doing the routine mtce, but I think you will have better luck with said "park model". Good Luck . . .

Rick, sorry to hear you've had that much trouble. The new pics of the flooring replacements look great. It'll be better than new when done.

New water resistant planks are in, trim almost finished. They wanted to come back today, naaaa its Christmas come back monday, we aint going nowhere.

nnfl.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky