Thinkin' of a new mod need thoughts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dwayne

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Kansas City
I have a Brinkman Smoke King Deluxe and the House I just bought has a gas line ran to the back deck for hooking up to a gas grill but grill is gone I was thinkin about running the line to my fire box adding a burner to the inside fastening it down and puttin in a new grate to put box of chips on for smoke flavor as I have only smoked with wood and coal not sure how well this will work ...

Phew take breath there, dude! It will work in theory. You'll need a natural gas type reg and burner. Assuming you have natural gas that is. In the Beast's design, I put the gas heat right in the smoking chamber below a "heat plate". The firebox is for sticks, but now I'll be able to get heat with or without smoke. just another thought.

I'll echo Richtee's warning - the first thing to do is figure out what kind of gas supply is in that line leading to the old grill. Odds are it's NG, but there's a chance it's running on a remote LP tank.

If you can, follow the line to see where it comes from. If not, see if there's only a NG line coming in from the local municipality or if there's any type of LP tank somewhere.

You'll need regulators & burners to match your fuel. It's a good conversion, but make very sure you know what you're dealing with. Consult a professional unless you're certain what you're doing.

Jon

after you find out what kind of gas you have

go to this link.........they have propane converters for every time of smoker

another member just bougt a ecb conversion kit from........sorry can't remember who

but this site has a conversion for your smoker it looks like

http://gassmoker.com/index.htm

Luckily I'm a Utility locator I located the line it goes to my Natty gas meter so it will definetly be natty gas so ill have one of my local gas buddies from mge come over and hook me up . But I still am confused as to where to add the burner cause its a upright smoker so the burner would go in the bottom of the smoke chamber so I could still use wood and coal and use natty gas as a extra heat source to keep temp more constant ?

Typically it should go in the bottom of the side fire box. Do a google on Afterburner convertion kits and see how they're set up in the SK deluxe. Seem like they have pics of just about evey type of smoker.

Like Dutch said... however as I mentioned, it CAN be added to the smoking chamber JUST FOR HEAT. Or like the Beast..I have just a burner pipe in the firebox to get the wood going.

Check out the kits...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky