Think I've got it right.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mls

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 11, 2007
Been too long since I've fired up smoker but tomorrow is 3 butts. Think my memory is correct but let me know. Here it is:

1. Rub and fridge night before.
2. Smoker at 225* to 250* with mesquite chips
3. Spritz every 2 hrs with Apple Juice & Rum
4. Take to 175* and wrap in foil
5. Take on up to 210* and put in cooler
6. Leave in cooler 2 or 3 hrs then pull.
7. Pig out big time.

Did my memory serve me well or did I forget something. Thanks.

Mike S.

LOL!! Yep, sounds like a good plan...on #5 you'll get a good pull @ ~205*F.

#7: 100% in agreement! LOLOL!!!

Have a great smoke, Mike!

Eric

I like 250 for my smoker.I do not spritz/personal preference.Foil like you at 175.I probe butts at 195-if probe goes in and out with no resistance-i do not cook longer....Sounds like you have a plan that will work anywho..

Enjoy that butt.............

My brother in law is visiting from Jamacia. He has worked down there for 20 years. He say's the Jerk Pork and Chicken is fantastic and wanted to know if I could fix it like they do in Jamacia. I have never tried it. Has anyone on here fixed Jerk Pork or Chicken? What should I use in the way of rubs, sauces, spritz's and such. Can I use a Boston Butt and smoke it like I do for pulled pork?

Mike S.

All is good, buddy! I was gonna give you my two cents, but realized there was no point! It's all good and you have enough help already! Keep us posted with pics!

good plan - here are a couple of suggestions:

try top hold at least 240-250 degrees for your cooking temperatures. i don't know what it's called, but meat cooked around this temperature simply has a richer flavor.

205 degrees should be plenty for a finished temperature.

since you're doing three - try one without the foiling @ 175 degrees and simply barbecue it until finished temperature (in other words, eliminate step four). be sure to wrap in foil to hold/rest meat in cooler when meat does reach finished tempearture.

compare results and i think you will be very happy with the unfoiled one.

you forgot something important....Beer!

After foil, I would only go to 200, in the cooler it will continue to climb and be super.

PS dont forget to give it a little splash of AJ/Rum mix when you foil it!

Everything sounds on the money, use chunks if you can. Less time loading wood/chips.

Looks Alright except No Beer...
icon_mrgreen.gif

I fixed it for him.

1. BEER
2. Rub and fridge night before.
3. BEER
4. Smoker at 225* to 250* with mesquite chips
5. BEER
6. Spritz every 2 hrs with Apple Juice & Rum
7. BEER
8. Take to 175* and wrap in foil
9. BEER, BEER
10. Take on up to 210* and put in cooler
11. BEER
12. Leave in cooler 2 or 3 hrs then pull.
13. BEER, BEER, BEER
14. Pig out big time.
15. BEER AND BEER to finish a 12 pack
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky