Things I try to Grow ...... 10/1/11 update

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
Here it is June 23rd.

1st alfalfa cutting. Cold wet weather delayed everything here.

3/4 acre should have 2 tons this cutting. 

14fae8e6_Alfalfa.jpg

Horse Radish in the apple bin (jail). It doesn't get along with anything. Spreads worse than......

40617763_HorseRadish.jpg

Elephant "garlic". Very mild. Grate raw on anything. Excellent baked and mixed with butter.

79596231_GarlicTopsElephant.jpg

Hard neck garlic. 3 varieties (reduced from 7) Each has 4-8 large cloves and a unique flavor. Very very flavorfull. Excellent for aioli or added to a hollandais. 

0e37c0c5_GarlicTops2.jpg

June 28th and the corn is 2" tall. I plant "Bodacious". A 75 day se variety.

At the far end are the "Blue Lake" pole beans. They are in jail to keep the

quail away. Quail just love the tender bean sprouts.

3dd23cd9_CornandBeans.jpg

Cherry tomatoes by the back door. A-100's. (from seed)

4fc57777_Cherry100maters.jpg

Cilantro and peppers. Bells(seed), jalapenos, anaheims, and poblanos.

ca583ab4_PeppersandCilantro.jpg

Table grapes. 2 varieties. So much better than store bought.

4659b1b7_TableGrapes2.jpg

Thornless loganberries. I am a sucker for loganberry pie.
bdb41a11_ThornlessLoganBerries.jpg

Fall raspberries. great jam.

c911f777_FallRaspberries.jpg

Table cherries. 5 varieties. A late frost did the blossoms in on the lower 1/3rd of

the trees. The birds get the top 1/3. I will make do with the middle third.

7394a36b_Cherries.jpg

Bartlett pears

a69a9c03_Pears.jpg

Quince. Very unique acidic/sour refreshing flavor. Rosy pink color. I guess I can't describe the flavor worth a darn.

beeecfb5_Quince.jpg

Things are looking up. 16 hrs + daylight and 90* days and 65* nights. Things should start growing now ?????

Some of you are eating tomatoes now. We don't have blooms yet. I refuse to show our 16 Roma tomato plants. The rain beat them to death. They had to re-sprout from the roots. Up about 4" and growing.

The same with the cukes, butternut and cantaloupes. Had to restart from seed.

Thanks for looking, Dave

You have a great variety of fruit, veggies, and herbs. Everything looks like its doing great to me and you should have some good eats soon.  I wish I had the space for all of that. Thanks for sharing!

Hi Dave.  Don't feel alone.  I live in ag country in central Cal, and everything down here is running late too. We are probably a little ahead of you, but late for this area.  It was just one of those weird springs.

Nice looking garlic!

Good luck and good smoking.

Your pears are way ahead of mine.  It's been really terrible over here on the wet side.  I've got my daughter growing my ball squash in Denver area.  They might be ready before anything here.  So, are you going to set up a roadside stand or anything or just keep the harvest?

Look real good Dave, here in Florida the Spring gardens are close to being Kaput. A few tomatoes left, some onions and some peppers. That's about it. Been to dam hot.

Looks awesome Dave

Nice garden. Things are looking good. I started my garden from seeds for the first time this year. So far so good. Going to transplant this weekend. Cant wait! I bet that corn is incredible!

Chris

Your pears are way ahead of mine.  It's been really terrible over here on the wet side.  I've got my daughter growing my ball squash in Denver area.  They might be ready before anything here.  So, are you going to set up a roadside stand or anything or just keep the harvest?
Most everything we grow is for us and the kid/grand kids. It is frozen, canned, dried, made into pies or stored in the cool room. Some is for the neighbors that help me out around here.

Hi Dave.  Don't feel alone.  I live in ag country in central Cal, and everything down here is running late too. We are probably a little ahead of you, but late for this area.  It was just one of those weird springs.

Nice looking garlic!

Good luck and good smoking.
Garlic grows so good here. It is hard to goof up a plant your stick in the ground in October and harvest in July.

You have a great variety of fruit, veggies, and herbs. Everything looks like its doing great to me and you should have some good eats soon.  I wish I had the space for all of that. Thanks for sharing!
My pleasure. I've pretty much always had a garden. I think this is getting a llittle out of hand at times but worth it.

Everything is looking great Dave.
Thanks. Now if I can keep up with it all.

Look real good Dave, here in Florida the Spring gardens are close to being Kaput. A few tomatoes left, some onions and some peppers. That's about it. Been to dam hot.

Looks awesome Dave
A dream of having a hydroponic garden like yours. No weeding !

Next year, alfalfa bales and self watering plastic storage boxes maybe ?

Nice garden. Things are looking good. I started my garden from seeds for the first time this year. So far so good. Going to transplant this weekend. Cant wait! I bet that corn is incredible!

Chris
Chris, right on !! I try to grow it all from seed. Plants are so expensive when you want 12-15 of each variety. The corn is good fresh and freezes well. We strip the kernels and freeze on a tray, then bag and put in the freezer. I think we froze 15 gallon freezer bags last summer.

Everything looks great! I wish I had the time to grow and maintain a garden!
Don't wish away your youth. Retirement will arrive soon enough.

This is the first I saw this Dave!!!!

Everything you showed looks real healthy!

The pics are Great too!!!

Thanks for the tour!

Bear

looks great, It looks like you have your hands full  .Just bought cherry treee to plant. any advise about fruit trees?  Here in GA the temps have been high ninety's for all spring (no spring, or rain) I have been canning squash and tomatoes already. blackberries are being picked daliy to keep birds away.  looking forward to your updates.

looks great, It looks like you have your hands full  .Just bought cherry treee to plant. any advise about fruit trees?  Here in GA the temps have been high ninety's for all spring (no spring, or rain) I have been canning squash and tomatoes already. blackberries are being picked daliy to keep birds away.  looking forward to your updates.
My neighbor has cherry trees and sprays mine every 2 weeks. He get horseradish, raspberries and garlic for his troubles. I do mow his orchard periodically also. Get a good neighbor. My 10 trees is nothing compared to his 10,000 or so. It is a good relationship.

The early variety is ready to harvest. This variety the tops fall over when mature. The other var. keep standing

until harvested.

Hand digging. When I grew 5000+ plants I built a harvester to dig them. It worked very well. This plot is too

small to use it.

66325166_2garlicdig.jpg

Peeling the heads getting ready to hang to dry. Peeling keeps the heads from getting discolored

when the dirt is attached. Much prettier product.

5fa63985_2garlicpeeled.jpg

Mom nature did really good. She grew beauties this year. Must have been the LONG, COOL, DAMP spring/summer we had.

9189cf60_2Nicegarlic.jpg

2-3 weeks and these should be dry. Depends on the weather. The fan is used to aid in drying.

33d22928_2garlichangingtodry.jpg

I ended up with about 100 heads of this variety.

3 more varieties to go. Thanks for looking.    Dave

Your garden is awesome!!

We love the garlic pics!!

We like to wrap the elephant heads in foil with a slab of butter and toss them in with whatever we are smoking.

Next year we will have the garden rocking here.

Great pics... Thanks!!

Craig

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky