Things I found out I can do with my smoker: Bartering

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

javin007

Original poster
Feb 20, 2014
Stafford, VA
Hi, all!  Though technically a "newbie" to smoking, I've got about a year of experience under my belt now, and have found that there's actually money to be saved with a smoker!

This fall, our sewer got clogged by roots in the pipes, and we had to call in a plumber (on a Sunday) to run a snake through.  In this area, the cheapest we could find was asking $300 (I know that's gonna seem outrageous in some areas, but yeah, that's as cheap as it gets here). 

Just happens we had the smoker going that day, and the smell was permeating the neighborhood.  My wife suggested bartering with the guy, so I asked if he'd be interested.  I had 4 smoked pork picnics from the previous day vacuum sealed and sitting in the freezer.  (We were stocking up to have plenty of smoked meatage to get us through the winter). 

Long story short, he knocked off $100 from the cost of the the rooting for a single smoked/frozen pork picnic!  I'd gotten them on sale, so between meat and charcoal, it cost me maybe $12! 

The smell of a smoker is a powerful thing.

-Javin

I've come to discover that I been LOSING money since I started smoking.  People as ask for a little of this or a little of that.  Being the somewhat generous fella that I am I always give in. 

Haven't even gotten a single beer in return!

Its all good though, as I enjoy knowing folks really like what comes out of my smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky