Thin Crust Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bigtank

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 10, 2018
Algona IA
Does anyone have a good recipe for a thin crust pizza dough they would like to share.

Looking forward to what you find. I know chopsaw chopsaw has a really good dough recipe. Probably many others do too. We cheated tonight with a store bought mix due to time constraints...but was still good! Should have par baked it to handle the sauce better though.

Ryan

I make all my own pizza doughs. I ferment mine to bring out more flavor. Below is what I consider a basic thin crust for two 12" pizzas.

4 Day- 2 Crust Fermented Pizza Dough - Thin Crust - 73% hydration

ALWAYS OIL THE PIZZA PAN IF USING ONE.

Note: this is perfectly fine to use after a 24 hour countertop ferment. The sourdough-like flavor develops further when fermented in the fridge or a cooler. You can actually go as long as 7 days, but any longer and you get a funky flavor that is NOT good. 3-5 days gives the best flavor.

All bread flour works, but gives a chewier, sometimes tough dough. All AP flour works but gives a very soft crust. The combination of the two gives a great texture.

360g of 00 [double ought] pizza flour is best, but can be pricy.

The natural yeasts in the fermented flours give a great crust rise.

Ingredients
1 ½ cups King Arthur AP Flour (180g)
1 ½ cups King Arthur Bread Flour (180g)
1½ tsp fine sea salt (12g)
⅜ tsp instant or quick rise yeast (1.5g)
1 ¼ cups room temp water (265g)
Olive oil

Directions

1. Combine dry ingredients into a bowl and stir until thoroughly mixed.

2. Slowly add water and mix thoroughly with a spoon until you get a ragged dough.

3. Cover with plastic wrap, place on the counter and let it bulk ferment for 24 hours at room temperature.

4. Lightly flour a work surface with AP flour, remove dough and place on floured work surface. Flour your hands then add additional flour to the wet dough so it is workable. Work it as little as possible to form a big round ball.

5. Divide dough into two equal portions. Next we're going to make dough balls. Place one dough portion between your hands and fold two sides into center. Rotate 90 degrees and fold into center and continue this process until a ball is formed. Add more flour to your hands if needed. Pinch the seam closed on the bottom of the ball. You can be aggressive with the pinch.

6. Place dough into highly oiled plastic container. Place in a cooler with an ice jug for 72 hours. Replace the ice jug every 24 hours. You can use the refrigerator but I found I like the taste best when the cooler temp is around 40-45°F.

7. After 72 hours, remove from the cooler at least 1 hour before use. I like to let it sit on the counter for four hours. Dough can be frozen too then counter thawed for later use. If the dough springs back when trying to shape, just cover the dough and let it rest 10-15 minutes.

Reactions: crazymoon
Well there you go, looks like Ray has you covered!
We make our own dough too, but in a pinch (more often lately), we just buy Wally World dough. Used to be $.99, now it’s $1.49. Enough for 2 medium pizzas.
Al

I make my pizza dough simple. One part self rising flour, one part Greek Yogurt. Just needs 5-10 minutes rise time before rolling it out. 2 cups each will make a medium to thin crust for a 16" pizza pan. Yep you can do a little seasoning with salt or garlic if desired, I do not find it necessary.

I make my pizza dough simple. One part self rising flour, one part Greek Yogurt. Just needs 5-10 minutes rise time before rolling it out. 2 cups each will make a medium to thin crust for a 16" pizza pan. Yep you can do a little seasoning with salt or garlic if desired, I do not find it necessary.
Do you par bake the crust before you add toppings and sauce?

Recipe is in the video on post #7

Do you par bake the crust before you add toppings and sauce?
Depends on how thick I make the crust, thicker, yes, thin not as often and it depends on how thick I put toppings on, but I do it just as I would a canned roll of the store bought pizza dough to spread out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky