Thickening Q Sauce??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
I tried a new sauce recipe last night and the flavor is great but the sauce is a little thin and I still have to add some brisket juice. Any ideas on thickening the sauce?

Well, the ol' stand by comes to my mind first: cornstarch. Get the sauce just past a simmer, and stir a little in. Carefull though, it can get away from you fast. Nobody likes a vegetarian meatball in their q-sauce!

Also, I put honey in most of my sauces and that seems to help thicken as well. I usually have it on the stove while doing something else, just let the sauce reduce until you get the desired thickness.

Cornstarch can alter the taste and appearance of your sauce. If you find that it does, next time try Arrowroot starch.

Arrowroot is flavorless, colorless (when cooked), and it thickens at a lower temperature if that is a concern as well.

Most likely the cornstarch and reducing will work just fine for you, but if not try the arrowroot next time.

or you could just add some flower, you just gotta be real careful with it or you get the same vegitarian meatballs as geek mentioned. I like to take a bit of whatever I'm thickening and add the flower to that and whisk it in til the clumps are all out. repeat til you have the desired thickness.

OR (again along the lines of what geek said) add honey, molases, or maple syrup. If you have a tomato based sauce you can add some tomato paste maybe...just be sure to add the right seasonings to offset the extra tomato flavor.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky