Thickening Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistlepig

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 23, 2011
Preble County, OH
It appears the Lea and Perrins no longer makes thick worcestershire sauce or I can't find any. Would cornstarch work for thickening regular Lea and Perrins?

Careful with xanthan gum, a little goes a long way. Too much and it almost feel gelatinous.
Definitely, I use it fromctime to time in place of cornstarch since it’s carb free. It’s very commonly used in commercial sauces and such though.

Reactions: S-met
Definitely, I use it fromctime to time in place of cornstarch since it’s carb free. It’s very commonly used in commercial sauces and such though.
Indeed it is, just check the label of almany sauce.
I didn't realize it was 0 carb. Might start using it more. I'm not exactly watching carbs, but I'm not exactly "not watching" them either.

Reactions: jcam222
I avoid (wheat) flour and corn starch due to wife's food sensitivities. Potato starch, Guar Gum and Xanthan Gum are neutral to her, so I try to use them first.

Xanthum gum has the advantage and disadvantage that it thickens on IMMEDIATE contact with liquids.
Advantage you don't have to heat the L&P for thickening as is required for most all other common thickeners. Xanthan gum also doesn't go funky when you heat the finished sauce. Some of the other thickeners can either convert to concrete or breakdown to a nasty mess.
Disadvantage it thickens immediately and leaves gelatinous blobs unless whisked thoroughly when added to your sauce. I use my immersion blender with the whisk. As S S-met noted (and jcam222 jcam222 knows) a little goes a long way and easy to get a jelly instead of a thickened sauce. Fine for my home made Mae Ploy sauce, not so good for gravies and sauces.

I’ve got some arrowroot powder to try for thickening too. Haven’t tried it on anything yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky