Thick cut venison jerky

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by kiskahead, Nov 25, 2006.

1. kiskahead

kiskahead Newbie

I cut up a hind leg from one of the deer I shot this archery season, originally I was just going to make another batch of my tradtional recipe jerky, instead I decided to make more of a kippered steak kinda thing, I did thick cut (1/2") and used teriaki sauce, ground coriander, garam masala(middle eastern spices) brown sugar, morton tender quick, and my favorite seasoning-Konriko creole seasoning. I'm going to let it sit overnight and put it in my little chief tomorrow, I figure about 4-6 hours then into the dehydrator just to get the texture I want. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    If anyone wants to try my regular recipe it is:
    5 lbs beef or venison cut thin
    1/2 C brown sugar
    1 C soy sauce
    2 tbls liquid smoke(if you are using a dehydrator)
    liberal application of Konriko brand creole seasoning(found in most grocery stores.
    pour everything on the meat, mix to coat, store overnight or 24 hours in a glass dish(or stainless steel bowl)
    don't rinse, put wet meat on smoker racks or dehydrator racks, sprinkle with more Konriko seasoning, smoke until texture/flavor desired, or dry in dehydrator.
    I think you'll like this recipe. I've been using it for years.

2. kiskahead

kiskahead Newbie

For anyone who may be interested, the venison was a sucess, taste is alot like ham, I went 6 hours in the smoker, and about 2 in the oven at 200 degrees to finish. I'll do this one again.

3. cheech

cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Supposed to get some meat that some friends would like to have jerky made out of it. I do not have a jerky recipe so I will give this a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe