thick cut top serloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
IOWA
i had planed on smoking this for a short time and finish on the grill but that didn't happen. finished it in the smoker,

hickory and around 3 hrs at a 200 temp
pulled it when it got to 137

18118782.jpg

By null at 2010-04-27

77576753.jpg

By null at 2010-04-27

46664978.jpg

By null at 2010-04-27

If it were me, I would have left it on a little longer but it looks great other than that.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Looks fantastic! Cooked through on the smoker is one thing haven't done, guess it's steak this weekend.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

granted it looks rare but it wasn't red rare, just very pink all the way through, i could have left it in longer and it would of had a lighter pink color, say if i had pulled it at a temp of 139--140 it would have been a lighter color.

thats from the low temp, it gives alot more pink in the center and you can control that better.
now if i had the smoker set at 250 and pulled it when it hit 139, the pink layer would have been much thinner, thats why i like lower temps for steaks and it works with any cut of steak.
all you need is a good smoker therm, and a good meat therm,

this chart is for a smoker temp of 250

Well done 160------169
Medium well 149------159
Medium 139-------148
Medium Rare 130-------138
Rare 121-----129
Very rare 113

it still works for a 200 temp too, i pulled mine at 137 and you can see its still in those ranges.

Yeah, me too. I think that some steaks or stuffed burgers would be awesome smoked with some mesquite.

BTW, I'm laughing so hard at that pic of Carl! I miss me some ATHF -- guess I need to find the DVD's.

A tad bit well done for me, but great job! (still like hearing it 'mmmoooooo' when you stick the fork in...
biggrin.gif
). Used to stand at the block and when a nice looking loin would pass through trim off a little to try..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky