Thermometers and Yoder YS640s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

texas smokin

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 16, 2022
Dallas-Fort Worth
Pretty new Yoder pit owner and pretty new smoker overall. Been using the temp probes that came with the Yoder and recently been also using the Meater+ as a secondary check. Have found a pretty big discrepancy between the two with the Meater+ usually reading hotter on both long and short cooks. Anyone else finding that?

Any personal favorites for beat temperature probes to consider?

dubob

Meat Mopper
Mar 1, 2019
Pretty new Yoder pit owner and pretty new smoker overall. Been using the temp probes that came with the Yoder and recently been also using the Meater+ as a secondary check. Have found a pretty big discrepancy between the two with the Meater+ usually reading hotter on both long and short cooks. Anyone else finding that?

Any personal favorites for beat temperature probes to consider?
Not familiar with Meater +, but it's easy enough to check accuracy of it with a cup of ice water and a pan of boiling water.

spohnat

Fire Starter
Aug 15, 2016
The overkill option would be a FireBoard. thermoworks is on the higher end. Thermpros are accurate. I use a thermpro in my grilla chimp pellet as the stock temp probe is garbage.

I would test via boiling water to see which if more accurate. one would hope it's the yoder

sandyut

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Utah
Thermoworks is awesome! I have several and lover them all. I have a meater and kinda hate it. The air temp on it is always WAY off, I just dont trust it. The Rec Tec probes and thermoworks are all I use.

like dubob dubob said, you can test any probe in ice water and boiling water (be sure you know you elevation affect if not at sea level).

Latest posts