Thermometer Probe in Summer Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dave in indiana

Original poster
Mar 24, 2013
I'm new here and to making deer summer sausage.  Just starting out with some LEM kits and some venison and 20% ground pork.  

Using my kitchen oven and not a smoker.  I do hang them in my oven with a drip pan.

I am wondering if I can use my meat thermometer probe in one of the sausages to monitor the temps as I shoot for the recipe's target temp?

Or will leaving it in for the whole time give me an inaccurate reading.

(I'm tired of opening the oven and constantly poking one of the sausages for to see if it reached the correct temp.)

Thanks.

If its a remote therm (wired probe) yes you can leave it in the whole time. I place mine in the middle of the chub, pushed half way through.

Another trick I use is when I pull the sausage to cool it in the ice water bath I put a piece of electrical tape over the hole from the temp probe to keep it from leaking all over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky