The wife cleaned out the Freeze & I got the Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnd49455

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 4, 2007
Shelby,MI
I have a very thin Round bone pot roast, 2 Chuck roasts (one about 1" thick & 1 about 2" thick) & an Eye roast @ about 5#. I was thinking about some jerky for some & just smoking the others.

Which cuts are best for Jerky
icon_question.gif

I have never done jerky before so some recipes & pointers would alos be helpful. In my signature is the list of my toys, which is best to use to make the jerky
icon_question.gif

John,

Of those cuts I would attempt to cut the Eye roast for the jerky. Cut AS MUCH FAT OUT AS POSSIBLE, I use kitchen shears for this. Slice strips thin, I go less than a 1/4 inch .... try multiple thickness' so you can figure your personal pref's. As far as your equipment goes, use the one you can maintain constant lower temps on ...... maybe the propane, IMO. The attatched thread was last years attempt at my first jerky, it was a liquid marinade, I have done rub type cures as well. I like em about the same ....

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=2883

Hope this gets you started in the right direction!

In my personal experience with jerky, The main thing is to have no fat in the strips. I've used all kinds of meat.
But I would sure like to know the outcome with your meat types.
And your thoughts of how they turned out.

I like my jerky cut with the grain, so the pots are out. Whichever you can get a with-grain cut of any length. personal preference here, you CAN jerky it all and it will TASTE fine :{)

Cut whatever into like 3/16th strips. Don't let it defrost completely, this GREATLY facilitates slicing, and remove ALL the fat you possibly can.

Quick recipe:
TenderQuick 1Tbsp/Lb of lean meat <I have been backing off this about 15% lately. Seems OK for the thin cut jerky>
Add onion powder, garlic powder, a few spritzes of Soy and Worchester sauces and a half cup red wine.
Add water or more wine to just cover strips in brining vessel.

24 hour wait... then into the MasterBuilt prolly... 120-150 degrees. Vent well, you are dehydrating as well as smoking.

Then after maybe 3 hours, I finish mine in my Jennaire oven, vented for dehydration action, about 125*.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...11653#poststop

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky