The test

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crockadale

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
Micco, Fl
This weekend I did a little experiment with 3 yard birds. I brined one overnight, one for 3 hours and the third no brine. I wanted to satisfy my curiosity as to how mush difference brining made to the outcome of the birds. All three birds weighed the same give or take an ounce. I used Lemon Pepper to season all the birds. They were smoked with apple wood to 170 deg. interestingly the brined one came off the smoke about 15 to 20 minutes after the others. They all were really good but overall the one brined all night was more tender and juicy.

The Brine:

Approximately I gal. Water
¼ Cup Salt
Old Bay
Garlic Powder
Onion powder
Coriander
Seasoned Salt

Other than the salt spices were added to taste.

Brined overnight

Seasoned with Lemon Peper

In the smoke

One on left no Brine and one on right 3 hour brine

The one brined overnight

Both good looking birds. Just goes to show ya... if ya brine there's no whine.

Very nice, and a sound scientific method to boot! Points!
You brine was a little on the weak side, probably fortunately for the 24 hour bird. Typical is 1 cup KOSHER/gallon water. Probably why the short brined bird got no mention. Unless curing, I never brine more than 6 hours.

Crockadale, they look great!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Rich, I also used almost 1/4 cup of seasoned salt to kick up the brine. I know I said I used the rest of the spices to taste. I'm not real big on salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky