The SMOKE is on!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wirenutt

Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Valley Grande, Alabama
Hello everyone

Well, this is to be my 2nd attempt at smoking. My 1st was last weekend, but unfortunately i was using my new smoke hollow #6. I trusted the thermometer that came on the unit.....it was almost 90 degrees off!!! With advice from this site, i checked the thermo in boiling water...to my surprise it was around 211 degrees, so i then went out and bought a digital probe thermo. to make a long story short, the factory thermo that came on this unit did not have a probe on it long enough to extend through the door completely...thus giving an inaccurate reading..now i will use a digital for smoker temps as well. The smoker even on its lowest setting still would not maintain a low enough temp to smoke, so i added a gas valve before the burner so i can get below the factory set "safe minimum" temp...did a test run and was able to hold temps as low as 200.
I will be trying a butt with jeffs rub on it using the tried and true method most everyone on this site is using....wish me luck!!! LOVE THIS SITE
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
thanks, Blake

Thanks Rich!
i do have one question for you. when using a digital thermo for smoker temps, can the probe be touching the grate or will that give a bad reading?? i have a small piece of ss wire that i made a hook from, i was planning on hanging it under the grate that i will be cooking on.

Typically, probes measure temps at their tip. Now...heat CAN travel down the length from the rear and afftect the reading thru conduction, but it's a slight issue. Avoid contact with the grate if you can if you can't... I doubt it'll be much of a problem since the tip is buried into the meat.

don't put the probe UNDER the grate, put it where the meat is gonna be, on top of the grate!
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif
Your post says that the therm you had read 211 degrees in boiling water, thats only 1 degree off!

Wirenutt, Glad the mod worked for ya. If I set the dial on the front of the smoker to the lowest setting and back the inline valve down I CAN MAINTAIN 150* which is great for fish jerky and things of that nature!!!!!!!!!!!Again good luck with all your smokin adventures and thanks for the points!!!!!!!!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

thanks for the advice..you guys are great!! well, the time is growing near...i can already smell the smoke! just finished rubbing down my butt so i need to get it back in fridge. plan on starting 5am in morning so we can have some Q for supper
icon_smile.gif

will try to post some pics..thanks again

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky