The new guy -- another Texan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jkn09

Original poster
Apr 25, 2014
Texas
I've been lurking for a while, but finally joined today.

I'm a native Texan, and as such, enjoy beef in all shapes and forms. I've got a Masterbuilt dual fuel smoker (propane/charcoal), but I pretty much use it like a stick burner (only use propane except to get the wood going). I grew up thinking BBQ was sweet, ketchupy sauce over some heavily spiced meat (East Texas style), but have recently taken a liking to the simplistic Central Texas style of salt & pepper.

I'm always looking to try unique things on the smoker (with about a 50% success rate). I've only been smoking for about 18 months, but I feel like I'm figuring things out!

Glad to be here. Thanks for having me.

That's a long list Blue...my greatest success was using butcher paper in place of foil on a brisket a la Aaron Franklin, but I'm really proud of a brine that I used for some axis venison tenderloin last weekend. Turned out so moist it was nearly unbelievable.

My greatest misstep was probably my homemade jerk seasoning for a pork butt. I'm pretty sure I nearly burned off some fingerprints that stuff was so spicy. That or the time I tried to make beef jerky from tenderized round steak and cooked it into oblivion.

Howdy jkn09!  Glad you found the forum and joined up.  Salt and Pepper, yummmmmmm.  Love your attitude about "unique things" too.  That's something that will get people thinking.  Be sure to watch for posts by Leah.  She takes "unique" to a delicious level I never imagined possible.  

Looking forward to your posts, questions, and any pics you can share.  Welcome to SMF!

Good morning fellow Texan, and welcome from East Texas. Just a note, everyone in East Texas doesn't do sweet, ketchupy sauce. I have been doing briskets for a long time and using the butcher paper method for the last several years, (works great)  I have tried all kinds of rubs, marinades, injections and sauces. On brisket I keep it simple, Rub with olive oil, salt and pepper and on the smoker, Be sure and post some pictures of future smokes. Glad you joined up

Gary S

Thanks Gary. I didn't mean to offend with the East Texas comment...it's my home after all. That's just what I grew up on and I think it still has it's place from time to time.

Not offended at all, just having a good time (at your expense) always glad to visit with a fellow Texas

Gary S

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky