• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

The great Umai Salami reveal ~ one batch and you'll be making more.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
Umai recipe calls for the following:
Pork shoulder 1 kg
Kosher salt 28 gr
Instacure #2 2.5 gr
Dextrose 12 gr
Black Pepper 2 gr
Red Pepper flakes 1 gr
Whole pepper corns 1 gr
Chili powder 1 gr
Garlic powder 1 gr
Bactoferm 5 gr
I added an additional
ground fennel seed 2 gr
Onion powder 1 gr
I used a course face plate on my grinder/ stuffer to keep the texture marbled nicely.

The fermentation was 48 hours between 70 and 78 degrees in a sealed fridge with no air flow, a bowl of water to keep it moist and a box of baking soda to keep the smell down.
The curing time was exactly 30 days in a fridge running at 10 degrees to cure and reduce its weight by 40%.

If you've not cured using umai bags and casings, Id strongly advise not starting. It's addictive. I cant wait for my Chorizo i have curing now.
20190805_115629.jpg

It looks as dry as a popcorn fart but wait until you remove the casing.

20190805_115653.jpg

I made one round chub and an oval chub for presentation on a mixed meat platter. To make an oval chub, dont fill your casing as full, flatten it out and lay on a rack to cure.

20190805_115720.jpg

Im sorry but thats just sexy. Its got a beautiful colour, mild pepper flavor and the kick of fennel gives it a traditional European finish. Enjoy!

Last edited:

timstalltaletav

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 8, 2012
I really need to try these bags! I've been wanting to get some for a few years and never seem to get around to it. Looking at this has me ready to order them right now!

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
LF, Good looking salami, IMHO you will like the chorizo more and it will be become your go to Umai product. LIKE

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
LF, Good looking salami, IMHO you will like the chorizo more and it will be become your go to Umai product. LIKE
Im looking forward to it. I make a smoked chorizo using my own recipe for the spices. Rather than adding vinegar as usual. I went without to sample the natural sour flavor of the fermentation.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
I do not understand the refrigerator temp of 10 deg...how do you get e refrigerator that cold....were you referring to freezer?
Theres nothing in the fridge other than my 4 chubs snd 4 cryovaced tri tips. I dropped the temp as low as it would go. I also put in an additional thermometer to verify.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I don't understand the 10 degrees either!
That's frozen meat!
It sure looks good, but I don't see how it would cure at that temp.
Al

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
May
That's frozen meat!
Al

Maybe its 10c which would be 50F.

fivetricks

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jan 7, 2017
Well that would make sense, but it sure would start some questions about his 70-78 degree bloom temps lol.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Fantastic! Great looking salami and a big LIKE! Never used UMAI before but will in nearest future... I have a question for you: looks like (from your recipe) you did not used any bacteria (Bactoferm HLP, F-RM-52, F-LC). Is this correct? Thanks!

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
Well that would make sense, but it sure would start some questions about his 70-78 degree bloom temps lol.
I was concerned at 72 and emailed umai. 70 to 78 isnt a concern, keeping a water basin to keep the humility present is a must. It also reduces the bloom time from approx 72 hours to 48.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
Fantastic! Great looking salami and a big LIKE! Never used UMAI before but will in nearest future... I have a question for you: looks like (from your recipe) you did not used any bacteria (Bactoferm HLP, F-RM-52, F-LC). Is this correct? Thanks!
Sorry, i didnt add that to the recipe. i added 5g.
Will correct the recipe too, thanks.

Led Freddie

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 9, 2018
That's frozen meat!
Al
Honest injun, 10 degrees F. 40% weight loss and we ate a quarter of a chub yesterday. We're alive and well.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.