The General

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwtrower

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
Cherry Hill, AR
I started this build thread some time ago over in "Wood Smokers".  Had some family issues that delayed the project. Now we have finished everything but the paint and I should be able to do that tomorrow.  The smoker is a 175 gal propane tank with two 4" stainless smoke stacks that I got like that for $100. I got the trailer in a trade that cost me $60 bucks. Got the firebox for nothing but had to buy some expanded metal and various steel pieces to finish. Got the stainless rear "bumper guard" at the dump for nothing. Bought new 6 ply tires. All told, I have about $400 bucks in the whole thing. I will be cooking Bubba food until I die.

24f684b0_100_0580.jpg

This is The General and Bubba, Senior Welder and engineer.

b91c7d3a_100_0584.jpg

Found the firebox at the scrap yard.  It is a 1/4", former vertical smoker. 

a2484aef_100_0585.jpg

Interior of firebox showing grate and the 6 in. square heat transfer pipes.

8b8aa3e2_100_0597.jpg

Used 1/2 in steel for the 3' intake covers.  Gorilla Welding.....It's UGLY but it's STRONG!

06e9aeb5_100_0582.jpg

Four racks cover entire smoker area.

b0995cc4_100_0593.jpg

1 x 12 removable Red Cedar

b55b4c5a_100_0592.jpg

Table folds down and legs fold in. "Handles" are for hanging towels.

e74e0be2_100_0596.jpg

Will post the finished painted pictures when done.

Thanks for everyone's encouragement and inspiration.

Last edited:
Here are the pics after paint during the 'burn in'........4 butts going on this beast tomorrow!!  

fcf102ac_100_0600.jpg

Burn in at 450....

322091f0_100_0602.jpg

Looking good, ready to roll.....found some 6 ply 8 inch tires that should hold it up.

Thanks for looking,

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Posted the first Q-Vue over on the Wood Smoker forum.

Thanks for the compliments.  My wife finally understands.  
icon_razz.gif

Looking real good !!! Those double stainless stack are nice, but going to be interesting; I 'm wondering if you will have to plug one to keep a steady heat. Look forward to hearing how it works for you and seeing some Q View.

cool.gif

Man thats one nice looking smoker you have there. Now I wish I could build something like that. But I'm sure you will have a ton of good smokes on that thing. Then you did a great job on the paint job too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky