The Butcher Block.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My wife is just as talented as I am with knives and we actually use them in our 4H classes. Why not teach with the best we have.  We have a guy in town that can sharpen a knife way better than I can for $3 per knife.  I steel them before each use and they stay pretty sharp. My knives are a hodge podge of Henkel and Forschner 

Ok so we all have knives.  Do we know what to do with em?   I have a good paring knife.  It has to be for more than peeling apples with!  LOL

I believe we need a Demo.

SMF Ninja "ChefRob" can throw an apple into the air, and peel it, core it, and cut it into 14 equal slices before it lands on the plate.

I want to see that on video!!!!

Bear

I believe we need a Demo.

SMF Ninja "ChefRob" can throw an apple into the air, and peel it, core it, and cut it into 14 equal slices before it lands on the plate.

I want to see that on video!!!!

Bear
stop it.........i can only do 12 slices but it's on 2 plates..........

Next time you consider purchasing a steel, check this one out:

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67_69&products_id=146

I purchased one last spring and have been very happy with it, you can feel the micro diamond grains in it!  Also, it is elliptical like () vs. round O,  giving more surface area on each stroke.  Best steel I've ever used, better than the ceramic ones which break easily.

53964993_002.jpg

Last edited:
This is my collection of knives:

c0dfa2f8_004.jpg

10" Dexter Sani-Safe[emoji]174[/emoji] Diamond Elliptical Steel

12" Forschner Victorinox[emoji]174[/emoji] Cimeter

10" Forschner Victorinox[emoji]174[/emoji] Scallop Blade Slicer

8"  W.H. Case & Sons - XX[emoji]174[/emoji]  Steak Knife

6"  Dexter Sani-Safe[emoji]174[/emoji] Straight Boner

I've got a Chef's Choice[emoji]174[/emoji] Model 110 Knife Sharpener

plus a Norton[emoji]174[/emoji] Two-Sided (coarse/fine) Oil Stone with metal case

to keep them sharp with.

I used to use a curved boner for many years until I got tendonitis in my wrists and couldn't keep it at as extreme an angle for boning, but it was so nice taking out an aitch bone on a rump with it!

Shooter, if you ever figure out how to make a paring knife fit in your hand and work right, let me know how you did it. My mom could peel taters faster and better with a paring knife than I can with a peeler.  I have seen Morimoto peel vegetables with a chef knife, but he is Morimoto.  Maybe Chef Rob will help us, he is a knife wizard!

Good luck and good smoking.

Has anyone gotten seriously into ceramic knives?  I don't think they would e good for boning, but for regular cutting, boneless cuts, etc.  Anyone with experience?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky