The Birds first Pulled Pork w/ Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

birdman1099

Original poster
Jan 23, 2010
Indianapolis
Here is my first attempt at a pulled pork.

I acquired a 9 lb shoulder.

Had to clean off the skin.

Cleaned and ready for rub

Rubbed and wrapped

Went on the grill at 7:30 am

Mopped with Apple Juice and Bourbon.
Came off at 9:30 pm

Pulled and finished with SoFlaQuer sauce plus a few more ingredients...

I am quite satisfied for my first one. In the fridge it goes to be served to the family tomorrow for lunch.

Wish me luck!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

It looks perfect.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks GREAT...

Next time if you don't want to spend all day, cut your 9lber in half, now cut your cook time in half. the results are absolutely the SAME!!! I do this a lot when I have to guarantee it be done by supper time.

2 smaller ones yield a little more bark and more RED RING meat into the final product cuz there is a little more surface area exposed but the taste and texture are not compromised at all!!!

It's looking like a common theme here GREAT JOB

Could you give me the mix ratio of apple juice and Captain Jack's. Is it a particular flavor of CJ or will any rum do?

I can't tell you what this guy used, but I've always used (the handful of times I've smoked a butt) a mixture of half Maker's Mark/half water. I've been reading about apple juice on here and am anxious to try various combos using that as well.

I usually use a 3:1 Apple Juice to Captain mixture...leaves more Cap'n to go down my gullet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky