The Big Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokey mo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 18, 2009
North Oregon Coast
Well it has begun. The first cut happened and no medics were involved. Have started to make a big honkin' trailer BBQ using a 500g propane tank.

Seems like I have gleened some of the best ideas from alot of people. When I get it all on paper and in photos I will post them and share the plans if anyone thinks they would like to try it.

The tank is 37 diameter and about 8 ft long. After much debate we cut one dome off and now we will start the doors. We will have a lull after that untill we can get to the sandblast shop. In the mean time we have to wreck out an old pop up tent camper for the trailer.

It will be reverse flow with a warmer above the fire box and if we can pull it off it will have a small oven above the fire box between and below the warmer. It would be nice but it may not work out. We are going to be fluid with the ideas...

Most of the parts are coming from scraps and construciton sites that will let me have it. The goal is to make a very nice machine with out breaking the bank. I have all the time in the world, so we are doing it slow and right. At the same time I dont want it looking like a patchwork quilt.

Thanks for all of the inspiration this site is truly amazing.

r
30349f63_vbattach22656.jpg

416234b1_vbattach22657.jpg

6a9da8d1_vbattach22658.jpg

Looks like that is going to be quite a smoker. Reading on here or another site where someone was building a smoker and he mentioned something that might be of interest to you. He mounted his hinges for the doors before he made the final cut, that way his doors stayed straight. Just a thought.

Charlie

Looks like your are off to a good start...
points.gif

How did you evacuate the tank before starting to cut?

Looks like you will have a nice smoker when you get done. Great start.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

That is a great shot with all the sparks.
Man is that thing going to be big!
Are you sure a tent trailer base will be sturdy enough?
This is going to be a very interesting build.

I have been kicking that around and I most likely will attach hinges prior. Thanks for the info, it may have just pushed that decision over the edge.

r

Last edited:
It had been open to the air for about 2 years. I was looking inside the vent holes and saw rust flake in the bottom. Sprayed water in to drive gas out and tried to inginte it. Nothing. So we cut. Not the smartest idea, but that in not how I function most of the time...

Well, the first real set back happened today. While cutting the doors out with a hot saw (it is what I have available to use, sorry), it had a failure.

I will just say that, when the cutting blade of a hot saw goes, it is spectaular! Ok, time to step back and try another day...oh to have a plasma cutter!

This is how a phone man goes about changing his talent for dial tone to smoking meats. This will be a process.

So...it...goes...

When I built my offset I welded the hinges before finishing the cutting out of the door. That is the way to go for sure!

Keep us posted on the progress.

Well, after much waiting and long suffering, we are moving in to a house. This makes the build and easier project. Also I have recruited a certified welder to the group...he is being paid off with food. So after getting settled in and setting up the shop, more info and pict will follow. Thanks for being patient with me. It is driving me crazy not to have the beast up and smoking already.

God Bless all your efforts this year folks.

When you plan to do something this large...getting commitments from people in the trades you need can be trying at best.  Have had several people verbally commit and desire lots of products before a bead was placed or parts assembled.  So I stand here with a tank that is cut open with no 'scrap metal' and no welder.  There comes a time in a mans life that he has to just learn what he needs and do the work him self, so...I am.  

Just bought a hobby shop plasma cutter on ebay, looks small but will cut up to 1" thick steel.  I am only working w/ 3/8 up to maybe 3/4.  My plan has changed so I don't need all the scraps that were in the original plan. I have a small wire welder in my garage that needs TLC but it works.  I will build this beast.

There will be more posts to this thread.  It may just take a while. No anger, just disappointment in promises made.  Until then I just keep using the units I have and keep plugging away.  

Thanks for the kind words and support. Here we go......

Update.  Just picked up another piece to the puzzle.  A half of a 250g tank for the firebox.  28" diameter and 42" long one end is missing. Also the plasma cutter came today and it works FANTASTIC!  Pictures are going to be forth coming.   Have a few things I have to do this weekend that do not involve the build.  It will start moving along quicker now. Things are starting to move along now.

Time is a funny thing...it flies by when you can't work on what you love.  I have been trying to collect parts for this build. I have been taking a welding class at the local community college and after taking in some ribs and ABT's the whole class is on board to help.  I have a friend that just blessed me with two sheets of 1/4" plate in 4X10' sheets and access to scrap. Oh happy day. So I take that to class Monday to start cutting. Found a local place that carries barrel hinges. All that to say, my phones camera is going to get a workout.  It is going to be good to have access to the shop and the tools and experienced fabricators to help this whole process. I am hoping to have the main BBQ done in the next 9 weeks.  The trailer may take a little more time than that, money will have to re-accumulate.

Sounds fantastic, taking in good food is the fastest way to make friends.

Congrats on the sheet score. That in it self will save you a ton of money.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky