The beginnings of greatness

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbaldbbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 4, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Ok I got the tanks for the start of the smoker.

Here is the firebox tank. You can also see my New Braunfels Black Diamond right behind it. And if you look you can see the trailer that the smoker will be mounted to behind that.

Here is the tank for cook chamber sitting in the bed of my truck. It is 58x21. Very heavy, it should hold the heat very well.

I talked to my buddy the welder, we won't be able to start work until the weekend on the 25th. So I will be spending the next few weeks just gathering material (i.e. angle iron, expanded metal). I will document then entire thing with the film camera. Sorry for the poor quality of these pictures, they were taken with the cell phone.

Ok I have a question. I am havign trouble locating 4 inch i.d. pipe. I can find 3 inch i.d. pipe no problem.

Do you guys think that that would work for the exhaust? I am going to put two inlets on the firbox using the same size pipe. One on either side so I can use the one not facing the wind.

I need some advice quickly. I will be picking that stuff up in about 2 hours. We are starting this weekend.

I would like the 4" but honestly think with that size tank the 3" should work

I was thinking about that. I can get 2 inch even cheaper, and if I put two exhaust pipes one that could look pretty good two and I should get the same flow as a 4 inch.

I did pick up my angle iron and the other stuff I need, except the pipe. I held off on getting that. But I may pick up a couple 2 inch pieces about 2 feet long each before we head up today. I am just waiting for my guy to call me.

Hi BigBaldBBQ,

I'm sure you probably know this, but to get the same flow area as the 4" pipe you were thinking of using, you would have to use two 3" stacks. Two 2" stacks do not offer the same amount of flow as the single 4". In this case, 2+2≠4.

The area inside that 4" I.D. Pipe equates to 12.566 Sq. inches.

The area inside a 3" I.D. Pipe is 7.068 Sq. Inches.

The area inside a 2" I.D. Pipe is 3.1415 Sq. Inches (or that magical number ∏ Pi).

Hopefully this will help you choose a stack that provides the draw you are looking for.

Here are some pictures of the work we got done yesterday. One of the guys is getting some 3 inch stainless steel pipe to use as the smoke stakes.

On this one you can see there the heat and smoke will come in. I will mount a steel plate across that so it will become kinda like a reverse flow. It will be evident when we are finished.

Looking pretty good there bigbaldbbq. Nice job. Where did you come up with that idea of using tape and spray paint to make the lines for the door
cool.gif
LOL

Can't wait to see it when she's done.

Todd

LOL I wonder?! Thanks for the advice. As much as we got done on Saturday, we should be able to finish it next time.

Wow:BigBaldBBQ...Makes my Fatman 80 look like a peanut...What's a puppy like that weigh?...Wish you all the best on your build....I got air flow problems on mine with that custom baffle...Might have to go to Reverse Flow...Good Luck Bud...

Well we can easily pick up the whole rig with a 1/2 ton engine lift. I would guess between 500 and 700 lbs for everything. We worked on it last Saturday. Got just a little bit left and we will be done. I will post pictures of the completed project. The sandblasting and painting will be a little later next month.

You guys all might like this. I have been calling around getting some prices on expanded metal for the cooking grates. I had 1 guy tell me that I would need to buy a whole 4'x8' sheet, and they would cut the peices I need for me $52.00. Another guy quoted me a price just for the pieces of 25.83.

And the prize winner for 2 pieces of expanded metal 20"x25" each 173.00. I almost laughed myself horse on that one!!!

Its looking good can't wait to see the thin blue coming out the stacks. Keep the pics coming

Now that the electric fridge is done. You and Zeeker have me on a mission to find some tanks and build me one of those babies. My neighbor did one out of a 300 gal propane tank that does one heck of a job, just too big for the everyday user.. Looks great!!!

Ron

I used two air compressor tanks. The big one is really old. It is a pressed tank and was under a lot of pressure so we had to do some interesting things to undo some of the bend when it released. But it worked fine. And it is 1/4 thick, and the heat baffle is also 1/4 thick, it should hold temp like a champ. I can't wait to get it finished, seasoned and cooking. I already have been asked to do a fundraiser in June with it.

Man oh Man that gonna be one heck of a smoker. You will be happy with that thing I'm sure.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky