The 12 Days of Venison Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

do you like wet brine or dry cure makin pastrami?

• Wet

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Dry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
The 12 Days of Pastrami - (made w/venison backstrap)

This started out back on Dec 9th after the grandson got his first buck.

I trimmed the backstrap real good and placed in the cure/brine. In the picture you see it after I removed from the brine and soaked in fresh water changing the water 3-4time. I hooked the meat on a bacon hanger above the sink to drip dry before patting it with a paper towel and applying the rub.

Cured the backstraps in a sodium nitrate brine with pickling spices and bay leaves for 11 days at 36*

The rub below is all is used. The mustard dissappears when it is smoked.

Rubbed ready and wrapped.

Rubbed w/horse radish mixed into mustard and heavily coated with black pepper to sit overnight in the cooler. Into the MES w no smoke for an hour at around 120 then cranked it up for the smoke.

Gently smoked with Southern pecan pellets in the AMPS@ 160-225 till they reached 160*IT.

Pulled and rested to cool before pacing in the frig for a couple days.

It's looking good for Christmas. I think he will love the taste. It really came out good and tastes great. Quite tender and balanced.

Will let these rest a couple days in the frig. before slicing further.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night.  HT.

That looks really good!  I like how the mustard works good for you and then just leaves when its job is complete!

But the backstrap?  I'd kill for some fresh backstrap right now!  chicken fried, with some gravy...  
drool.gif

I do have a question, you used sodium nitrate for the pickling?

That looks really good!  I like how the mustard works good for you and then just leaves when its job is complete!

But the backstrap?  I'd kill for some fresh backstrap right now!  chicken fried, with some gravy...  
drool.gif

I do have a question, you used sodium nitrate for the pickling?
Actually the mustard has just about all the right flavors in it and YES it does dissappear when smoked, a light coating works the best for me then pack on the pepper. I have also used this method on spare ribs with great success.

The brine is basically POPs brine method with the cure, I add bay leaves and pickling spices to it after I have boiled and cooled the spices.

HT

Awesome looking finish on the Venison. 
Looks-Great.gif

Should be great treat for sure.  
points1.png

Have a Merry Christmas

Larry
Larry., every thing about making this was learned right here on SMF from all the knowledge that is shared. Thanks for the nice words and the points. That is what's so cool about SMF, it is nice to have good friends here who are always upbeat and on the move.

Thanks to all.

Actually the mustard has just about all the right flavors in it and YES it does dissappear when smoked, a light coating works the best for me then pack on the pepper. I have also used this method on spare ribs with great success.

The brine is basically POPs brine method with the cure, I add bay leaves and pickling spices to it after I have boiled and cooled the spices.
I love using mustard on most everything I put in the smoker at 225 or above.  Works wonders.  I also put a thin layer on a steak before I season it to grill.

The question I had about the cure was you said sodium nitrate above, so you used Cure #2 in place of #1?

Oh my, that looks so good.:drool

Great job.

:points:

You right about the people on this site. The best bunch of guys and gals around. Always willing to share tips and recipes. Thumbs Up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky